Menu

Dr hive: arachnoid cyst and alcoholism

My brother is a very active alcoholic. He has spent the last four days in detox in a local hospital. He lives in Florida, but came here for treatment, presumably becaus he thought I would help him. I won't. We gave him a ride to rehab and that was it.

Well, since then, he has been released and gotten really drunk again. I am actually scared of him. I was up most of the night last night because he had gotten so paranoid that we were going to lock him up with the looney bin and he stopped texting. I was so scared he would come to my house.

Anyway, he found another hospital and was able to get a ct scan. He was diagnosed with an arachnoid cyst in the posterior fossa. I saw the paperwork, so he is not lying, this time.

Is there anyone here who can tell me about this? Is it related to the alcoholism in some way? I am afraid he is going to use it as an excuse for his behavior, because in his own head, he isn't an alcoholic.

Anyway. Prayers would be appreciated.

A simple google search will give you lots of information on the cyst issue. It seems to be unrelated to alcoholism, but can create behavioral problems if they've grown to large size.

I *can* speak to alcoholism, which is a brain disease. It is chronic, progressive, prone to relapse, predictable, and treatable. It is not about wilingness, strength, will, morality (although after years of chronic abuse, these can become issues that develop because of the alcoholism ~ they become a symptom).

Research is quite clear that alcoholism has its foundation in the body/genetics of the individual. Years of use change the brain's function dramatically, reinforcing the behaviors related to drinking. Lack of drinking causes actual distress, and drinking again relieves the distress.

It's a sad, sick cycle.

Alcohol has nothing to do with it. Kids even get them. It is a medical condition but not one your brother can blame his alcoholism or behaviors on. Do you know if his was symptomatic? Why did they do the scan?

I feel for you. Please don't make acceptions and allow him in your home if you are scared for him.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

A simple google search will give you lots of information on the cyst issue. It seems to be unrelated to alcoholism, but can create behavioral problems if they've grown to large size.

I *can* speak to alcoholism, which is a brain disease. It is chronic, progressive, prone to relapse, predictable, and treatable. It is not about wilingness, strength, will, morality (although after years of chronic abuse, these can become issues that develop because of the alcoholism ~ they become a symptom).

Research is quite clear that alcoholism has its foundation in the body/genetics of the individual. Years of use change the brain's function dramatically, reinforcing the behaviors related to drinking. Lack of drinking causes actual distress, and drinking again relieves the distress.

It's a sad, sick cycle.

Ok so I did my research years ago. It is true that large cycsts can cause behavioral issues. Cysts can also cause headaches, dizzines, migraines, cognitive issues. You need to know where your brother's cyst is located and how bit it is before you can blame behaviors on it IMO.

My son was born with an arachnoid cyst. We only know about it because a prenatal ultrasound identified spaces in the brain with too much fluid, and so they sent him to a neurosurgeon when he was born.

Most people who have an arachnoid cyst never even know they have one, unless they happen to have a head CT for other reasons. Sometimes they can grow and cause headaches and other problems, but usually they are benign.