Menu

Toddler adjusting to baby???

When we had our second our son was 23 months old and the adjustment went very smoothly. He was also a pretty compliant child though, so that may have helped matters. We just had our 4th and our now 19 month old son isn't doing so well with the changes. He is waking up at night again and at 4am is ready to get up for the day (not ready by my standards though as he is obviously still tired), is VERY clingy when other people come around outside of our family, has stopped letting the older two help him with anything (only wants Mama to do it), is screaming every time he doesn't get his way or can't figure out how to ask for something he wants, and all of a sudden loud noises seem to really bother him. We have been having him go in the corner to calm down when he screams but it seems to be getting worse not better. We are not sure if it is all the baby adjustment or a combo of things. He is obviously getting close to the so called "terrible two" stage so maybe that is part of it. Our older two didn't really have "terrible two's" so to speak. This child is stronger willed than the other two and I think we have spoiled him more too. :blush: He has spina bifida (just a minor case) and so I think because of that I may have been overcompensating a bit or ignoring behaviors I should have been dealing with before baby came along.

Anyways, any advice would be great. What worked for you children to get through this phase? Please be as detailed as you can, I am all ears. I miss our happy little guy.

Edited by joyfulhomeschooler

Honestly it took about 3 to 6 months for my toddlers to get use to a new sibling, and that was even with them loving having a new baby around. It just takes some time, and they do tend to be clingier and sometimes regress in some skills for a bit. Alone time with the toddler without the baby, maybe 15 to 20 minutes once or twice a day when possible, to just play and snuggle did help a lot with it as well.

So, as I said before we are doing corner time outs for the screaming and it seems to be getting worse instead of better. A neighbor came by today and said that she used to ignore her kids when they did this screaming and that it worked really well. Anyone done it that way? I have been spending extra one on one time with him since I started this thread and it is seeming to help a bit. I just feel like ignoring it would be ignoring a bad behavior... is this really a good idea?