Menu

R&S users... I need some advice

jenL

Due to a variety of factors, we only made it through half of R&S 3 this year (ds was in 3rd grade). For 4th grade, which we will be starting the first week of August, should we continue with book 3 or go ahead and start book 4? I know R&S has review built in, but I don't want to overextend ds by jumping too far ahead. fwiw, ds loves grammar and understands it well.

Thank you, everyone!

I was fine with staying in 3 if necessary, but ds is very sensitive regarding being "behind". I was hoping to avoid any further heartache for him since last year was already tough enough.

Well...I would do it differently than others and here is why. DD started homeschooling in 9th grade. After researching we started with R&S 6 (or 7 - can't remember which.) Through high school she worked on R&S through the 8th book. She made the top score possible in the ACT, clepped out of grammar and will be a senior in college this fall. With DS we started in R&S at 2nd grade. By the time we got through half of 5th (in 5th grade) I felt it was too advanced for him and he was burned out. So we took a break from R&S as then I knew I had plenty of time to get through 8. We did some other things in the interim (Meaningful Composition, Progeny Study Guides, etc.) So from my experience, I would definitely take my time and stay in 3. I would work slowly through all books and let him know the books are just numbered for order, not for grade. But, of course, this is just MY experience and my approach so yours might be best to skip to 4. Just thought I'd share a different approach.