Menu

homeschooling books for moms

beth83

Last summer I attended my first homeschooling conference. I really just went to browse curriculum that I would be using for this upcoming year, as we are just now reaching the schooling age. I refused to leave empty handed, so I impulsively bought Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Teri Maxwell.

Wow. I loved reading that book! I plan to read it every year to make sure my heart is in the right place before we start school. What a gem this impulsive buy has become!

With more seasoned moms ahead of me, I was just wondering if there are any similar suggestions. Not a book on methods, or curriculum, but anything that speaks directly to you, the teacher. When you are fried, or frazzled from homeschooling, or you want to kick things off to a great start, do you have a good book you run to?

Have you read The Well Trained Mind yet?

Yes, I have. I think of that more as a method/curriculum book.

I am looking for an encouraging book that has nothing to do with the actual education and more about the heart of the parent. Practical insights, encouragement, biblical advice, etc.

Edited by beth83

These are some of my favorite. I think it's time to read them again ;)

How to Have a H.E.A.R.T. For Your Kids by Rachael Carmen

The Spiritual Power of a Mother Encouragement For the Homeschooling Mother by Michael Farris

Lies Homeschooling Mom's Believe by Todd Wilson

I am looking for an encouraging book that has nothing to do with the actual education and more about the heart of the parent. Practical insights, encouragement, biblical advice, etc.

I bet you would love Educating the Wholehearted Child. It is exactly what you're describing.

Other favorites, mostly CM...

Real Learning: Education in the Heart of the Home (Good grief, the price! You can see if your library has it! Here is Elizabeth Foss's web site.)

Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling Series

A Charlotte Mason Companion

For the Children's Sake

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading The Mission of Motherhood and The Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson. She has several other books written to mothers, but I have not had the opportunity to read them yet. Of course, I may have to read that Maxwell book you mentioned first. :tongue_smilie:

Last summer I attended my first homeschooling conference. I really just went to browse curriculum that I would be using for this upcoming year, as we are just now reaching the schooling age. I refused to leave empty handed, so I impulsively bought Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Teri Maxwell.

Wow. I loved reading that book! I plan to read it every year to make sure my heart is in the right place before we start school. What a gem this impulsive buy has become!

With more seasoned moms ahead of me, I was just wondering if there are any similar suggestions. Not a book on methods, or curriculum, but anything that speaks directly to you, the teacher. When you are fried, or frazzled from homeschooling, or you want to kick things off to a great start, do you have a good book you run to?

Hi Beth

I too adore the book line that the Maxwell's have put out. I am currently reading Keeping Our Children's Hearts: A Vital Priority.

Their practicals guides to scheduling and chores have helped me immensely. I also enjoy revisiting Sayer's 'The Lost Tools of Learning' essay from time to time. G.K. Chesterton quotes help me when I am burned out. My favorite: "How can it be a large career to tell other people about the Rule of Three, and a small career to tell one's own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone and narrow to be everything to someone? No, a woman's function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute.â€