Menu

Spelling Wisdom: some of the dictation excerpts are really long...

Johanna

We are about finished with book 1 and as a rule have done each one in a single sitting. There have been a few times when I have split it over two days. I have allowed 30 minutes twice a week for dictation throughout the 2nd half of the book.

HTH

Dixie

The passages start short and get longer through each book, so the child isn't just plunged into long dictations. The sample download probably doesn't show that very well. Even the later books, the first half are quite short but get quite long by 3/4 of the way through.

My ds9 is not strong in this area. I will repeat 1 sentence twice, then have him write it, then go on to the next sentence. Is this the right way to do it, or should I read everything at once, then let him write it?

Thanks

Hot Lava Mama

I do not usually say a whole sentence unless its particularly short- I break it into phrases, sensible chunks that are within my child's ability to remember. I say it once, usually, sometimes twice.

We do studied dictations- the child reads it first, writes down any difficult spelling words and studies them- then we do the dictation, phrase at a time. I tell the punctuation, although I may hint by saying "end of sentence" at the end of a question and hope they notice it should be a question mark.

At the end, I read the whole dictation once through, and they check their work.