Menu

Speech Eval?

Taking Princess in for a speech eval this aft. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect, how long it may take, etc?

My youngest had one 2-3 years ago, and he was around 3 at the time, so this may differ. They basically asked me a ton of questions about him, from pregnancy and birth history to developmental/social milestones. Fortunately I remembered most of it, but not all. Maybe take a quick peek at her baby book before you leave?

Then I think they just observed him playing, and she got down on the floor to play with him and took notes.

Ds has had multiple. They were all about an hour. This last time she had to be creative because he's mastered the tests.

More than likely it will involve pointing to correct pictures, sequences of pictures, repeating words and phrases, naming pictures, and naming or pointing to functions (what do you use to brush your teeth? Etc).

Ds has had multiple. They were all about an hour. This last time she had to be creative because he's mastered the tests.

More than likely it will involve pointing to correct pictures, sequences of pictures, repeating words and phrases, naming pictures, and naming or pointing to functions (what do you use to brush your teeth? Etc).

:iagree:

I just remembered, we went for a follow up more recently, and they did this as well.

One word of advice, if it's possible, just take her by yourself. My other 2 kids were very distracting during the second eval. :glare: But I didn't have a choice at the time.

I don't know if this is common, but maybe make sure the words aren't on the picture if your kid is reading? I bought an at-home speech therapy book that had the words with the picture (they were hand-drawn in thick sharpie, so they weren't always obvious what they were.) It also had them in a grid with the letter that was being tested and ds5.5 figured out pretty quickly what sound he was suppose to be saying in the word. So the results were not exactly accurate. :glare:

I don't know if this is common, but maybe make sure the words aren't on the picture if your kid is reading? I bought an at-home speech therapy book that had the words with the picture (they were hand-drawn in thick sharpie, so they weren't always obvious what they were.) It also had them in a grid with the letter that was being tested and ds5.5 figured out pretty quickly what sound he was suppose to be saying in the word. So the results were not exactly accurate. :glare:

I have never seen this with speech tests! The booklets almost stand up and the page facing ds is just pictures, or whatever it should be, and the page facing the therapist has the instructions and answers.

What you have sounds frustrating.