Menu

a preschool question (AAR pre-level and HWT)

kesmom

I have both of these planned for my pre-k student, 3 days a week. My thought was to do HWT in a similar manner that I did with my oldest at that age - no workbook but following the TM and using their manipulatives. Their order of teaching the letters is based on difficulty. (all straight line letters first, before any letters with curves etc..... )

However, I was just looking through my AAR stuff and they suggest using a handwriting program of your choice - but doing the letters in alphabetical order along side the AAR materials. This is different that the HWT order that I am used to and I'm uncertain how to combine these.

I realize that it is quite possible I am over-thinking this or there is an obvious solution I am missing ;) but I would love to hear any suggestions.

I was faced with the same dilemma when we started both in January. Because I was planning to postpone the workbook and only use the manipulatives for handwriting at first, I chose to ditch the HWT letter order and just use the HWT materials to practice the letter of the day for AAR. It's worked out fine. When we finish AAR, probably mid fall(?) I'm going to move to Phonics Pathways, and plan to go back and have them do the HWT workbook in order. I expect we'll move through the PK workbook pretty quickly and start on the kinder workbook before the end of the school year.

IMO, I would move AAR around to fit HWOT. The HWOT letters are introduced in a certain order based on where they start, which helps kids who struggle to write remember how to form the letters. AAR order is just alphabetical and can be mixed around at will, but you would really miss out on one of the big benefits of HWOT if you do it the other way around.

If you do rearrange the order of the alphabet in AAR Pre-1, make sure that you still do the Language Exploration parts of each lesson in order--these build on each other and can't be rearranged. The letter order is not as important.

Other options: Wait until you are partway through Pre-1 to start handwriting (so your child is familiar with how a letter looks), and then don't worry about matching them up--do the programs separately.

Or, just work on capital letters for awhile--the HWT order for these doesn't matter as much.

I do agree that with the small letters, go with the HWT order either separately (not lining things up) or together (rearranging just the letter portion of the Pre-1 steps to match HWT). The order for small letters is specifically designed to reduce the likelihood of reversals, and puts letters that are formed similarly together.

Merry :-)