Menu

Questions about LEGO learning, LEGO groups, kits and robotics....

My DS9 is very interested in Lego products. He is a "reluctant" learner though, and I am vaguely aware that there is a "Lego community" out there. I was thinking of getting him involved in some kind of Lego learning, but am not sure where to start.

Do you have any advice? Which products, what program, all of that? I am aware of Lego Mindstorms, but not sure of what it is completely, and if that is meant for a 9yo. How about Lego robotics stuff? I will have to dive in and do some online research, but thought I'd probe your marvelous experience first. Thanks all!

- Stacey in MA

My DS9 is very interested in Lego products. He is a "reluctant" learner though, and I am vaguely aware that there is a "Lego community" out there. I was thinking of getting him involved in some kind of Lego learning, but am not sure where to start.

Do you have any advice? Which products, what program, all of that? I am aware of Lego Mindstorms, but not sure of what it is completely, and if that is meant for a 9yo. How about Lego robotics stuff? I will have to dive in and do some online research, but thought I'd probe your marvelous experience first. Thanks all!

- Stacey in MA

My son was 9 last year and took a class using Lego mindstorms last summer and then participated in First Lego League last fall. The class was great and we would do it again if it wasn't so expensive. They had 2 kids per robot and taught them how to build, program and "compete" with their robots. The First lego League was a bit of a dissappointment after the fun summer he has. First Lego league is a group of 4-10 kids, who get together, build and program a robot, do a research project, create a presentation, and then are scored on their research, presentation and how well the robot performs.

Around here one of the high schools runs the program and has many mindstorm kits. There is a team fee of $250 that goes to First Lego League and then we had an individual fee to the high school club to cover missing and broken pieces, field set expenses etc. Most of the teams were sponsered by their school and later I did find one homeschooling group (faith based and a very different faith from ours so not likely something we would join). WOrking with the "schooled" kids versus homeschooled kids was a quite an experience for us. For one we are used to doing everything during the day, but of course they can only do things at night. It was on the other side of town so lots of driving for us, and the team was managed by the parents of two of the team members. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but both of these kids has special issues which really affecgted their behavior and interaction with others. We weren't told of this until well into the season and couldnt switch. Of course everyone had to bend over backwards and accomodate those two kids and my son wasn't able to get involved because of those kids flat out said he didn't like my son and refused to work with him on anything.

So while the potential for fun can be there, I wouldn't join a group unless I already knew the people/kids involved. You should be able to google First Lego League and get their website. I "think" they listed groups by state but not totally sure. I found out about ours since they were advertising the summer class in the newspaper.

Stephanie

here in Birmingham.

See if your CC offers non credit classes. The CC here has adult learner classes and kids classes for Lego's, photography, Spanish, Lego robotic (local engineer) , Lego building (this is done by a local architect). It really has been great for my kids.

My son did not like writing until he discovered the Lego forum. He started writing reviews about his Lego's. The Lego forum is very well monitored. He has used it for over a year. We have had no problems.