Menu

The Story of Mankind - Silly question??

titianmom

Hi,

THis might be a silly question, but since SOM isn't copyrighted and is in public domain, it may not be a silly question.

It has been updated a few dozen times I think. Are the updates just extentions, or has SOM been completely re-written over time?

I'm studying the middle ages and don't need anything modern, so I'm wondering if I can just pick up a really old copy and be done with it.

Or, is it wiser to pick up a newer copy?

:)

Kim

I do have The Story of Mankind but it is not a revised edition. I have seen one briefly and I think that the revision is simply to add a little time to it's coverage. I don't think that any revisions are large and sweeping. I am going to use this book when we reach our second rotation of history (we are in the mid 1600's and hope to get to the 1800's this year). I think that it would be fine to grab an older copy for the middle ages.

HTH

Though I can't say for sure, it looks like they continued it on. Here's what it says on the back of the revised edition I was looking at.

This new version, which retains van Loon's original illustrations, has been brought up to date by John Merriman, professor of history at Yale University, with additional illustrations by Dirk van Loon. It incorporates the most important developments of the last two decades -- including space exploration, the emergence of developing countries, the end of the COld War, the Internet, and the astounding advances we have witnessed in medicine, science, and technology -- and looks forward into the prospect of the twenty-first century.

This is from a version copyright 2000.

HTH,

Amanda

Though I can't say for sure, it looks like they continued it on. Here's what it says on the back of the revised edition I was looking at.

This new version, which retains van Loon's original illustrations, has been brought up to date by John Merriman, professor of history at Yale University, with additional illustrations by Dirk van Loon. It incorporates the most important developments of the last two decades -- including space exploration, the emergence of developing countries, the end of the COld War, the Internet, and the astounding advances we have witnessed in medicine, science, and technology -- and looks forward into the prospect of the twenty-first century.

This is from a version copyright 2000.

HTH,

Amanda

My copy says this too. BTW this is a huge history hit in our house! :thumbup1: