Menu

Ugh. Spelling?

MommyK

Is Spelling Power (we're using MFW, ECC) really worth it? Is there another spelling program that isn't so pricey?

I have never been interested in spelling, so even RESEARCHING it makes me zzzzz. I have a 1st, 3rd and 6th grader coming out of PS this fall, and I'm a little afraid of being overwhelmed by choices, so I'm coming right to you guys.

To me, it sounds a little complicated, but it's ALL new to me, so I have nothing to compare it to. That said, if it's a one-time purchase, then maybe it's just worth it.

Do you think I should just buy the new version from MFW? Or buy the 3rd edition I keep seeing on different FSOT boards? And there's only one right? Bleh. I'm a pain! I'm so sorry..

Not having used MFW ECC, I would say call them and ask about the changes. As far as the spelling, I wouldn't plunk out for particulars like that till you have them home and know where they're at. I walked by multiple, multiple copies of Spelling Power tonight at our hs group's sale night. You might even like a less expensive option like getting WRTR from the library (price point = free) and trying it out. Might be fun for them with the group dynamic, and then you'd see where they're at and how they like to learn before you plunk out too much. Just my two cents. It's not the spending money that makes the education works. It's getting something simple and using it in a way that actually connects. Nuts, you could get nothing for spelling, do dictation with them this year, and come out at the end of the year with FINE spellers with any luck. So save yourself some dough till you know you need it.

And if you know you need it, pay no attention and go buy, lol. But don't say I didn't warn you. :)

Sounds like you're going to have a fun year! :)

I like Spelling Power a lot. I used it for one year that the mom I nannied for chose it for her 8yo daughter. (I worked 2 days a week). I was skeptical at first, but then I read the philosophy part of the book, and I became sold on the all of the potential. I was disappointed when the mom changed back to a traditional spelling program the next year.

I already have a copy of Spelling Power on the shelf for when dds are older.

Disclaimer:

Even thoughI already have a copy of Spelling Power on the shelf for when dds are older, I do not plan on using it until the girls are past 2nd or 3rd grade. I do not feel that it has a clear enough plan for teaching spelling rules to YOUNG children.

Disadvantages:

--Initial price is scary.

--No program works for everyone...which you could say about any program, but if you hitch your wagon to this star, what are the chances that it will be a good fit for all three of your children?

--If you are only planning to do Spelling through 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade, it may not be worth it financially to you.

Advantages:

--Price. Compare the price to the cost of X number of Spelling Workbooks times Y number of years times 3 children. What is your cost then?

--Child works through dozens and dozens of words each week, instead of just 25 words, of which they know nearly all at the beginning of the week. Child LEARNS to spell as many as 25 new words by the end of the first week that the child was misspelling at the beginning of the week.

--System can be used to work on Spelling lists for vocabulary words of other subjects: history, science, social studies, geography, Wordly Wise Vocabulary, etc.

--System can be used to prep for SAT/ACT by targeting just those words.

Does your public library have a copy of the Spelling Power or can they get a copy through Inter-Library Loan? Is there a local homeschooling coop library (through the school system or a church) that may have a copy you can check out? If so, I recommend that you borrow a copy and read through the introduction part before you decide whether this would be a good fit for your family or not. If I remember correctly, the intro is 80-100 pages, so be committed to a long read.

hth

I love this board. Seriously. There are so many helpful members here.

I think I'm going to pass for now then, and see what's out there. I'm already overwhelmed and intimidated starting out HSing for the first time. I'm greatly looking forward to a couple years down the road when it seems a little more natural to us. Thank you for the great reviews and advice.

Spalding. You need the manual (WRTR), $20.20; and the phonogram cards, $13.90. The Spelling Assessment Manual, $13.40 can be useful. :D

Wowsers, they charge $13 for their spelling placement tests??? SWR includes that in the manual, and there are 9 or 10, enough to use a different one each month. I hadn't heard of the spalding one. That's just another price to add on. To me the greatest part of WRTR was the economy, the price point. Oh well.

I love this board. Seriously. There are so many helpful members here.

I think I'm going to pass for now then, and see what's out there. I'm already overwhelmed and intimidated starting out HSing for the first time. I'm greatly looking forward to a couple years down the road when it seems a little more natural to us. Thank you for the great reviews and advice.

You're going to be awesome! I keep looking at your avatar pic with you so relaxed and the coffee... You're going to figure this right out and get into a groove. You'll be fine! I have a hairdresser friend who has homeschooled on and off over the years. She's just so practical and creative about it. Maybe it's from being decisive with something as important as someone's hair. She's able to go chop-chop with things that don't work and add a bit of highlight or color where things are getting drab. You'll do this too! :D

Wowsers, they charge $13 for their spelling placement tests??? SWR includes that in the manual, and there are 9 or 10, enough to use a different one each month. I hadn't heard of the spalding one. That's just another price to add on. To me the greatest part of WRTR was the economy, the price point. Oh well.

Have you seen the Spelling Assessment Manual? It's more than placement tests. And it's optional anyway.

I agree - you are going to do just fine. You know your kids better than anyone. I use MFW and do not use all of their recommendations. Not sure if that makes me a rebel or just a typical homeschool mom. I have used Christian Liberty Press spelling program for 23 years and found it does a great job and is very inexpensive. I don't know if this approach would work for a child with spelling concerns (you didn't mention any issues), but my kids were all very average and all have turned out to be good spellers. The word lists follow phonics rules. You can see examples on Christian Liberty Press website and probably Rainbow Resource. I would say it is a very traditional approach and similar to Spelling Workout which WTM recommends, but it has Christian content. ETA: CLP spelling is called Building Spelling Skills (not to be confused with Evan-Moore's BSS)

HTH

Blessings,

Penny

Edited by Penny from Tenny