Menu

Should I do more LA besides ETC for K?

CatholicMom

I am planning to have her do Explode The Code and read her Bob books and other readers. But I kind of feel like she should have more language arts than that. :confused: Suggestions?

I'm thinking along the lines of the Lifepac Language Arts for K "My name is __________." And "I live at ____________." But I don't really know. (She does like workbooks.) But I can't handle the hideous artwork in the Lifepacs. I admit it. I can't. I'm a very visual person, and can't stand cartoon people who look like camels. Anyway, do you think I need to do more for LA? Any suggestions? I'm using Voyages In English for my 3rd and 4th graders next year, but they don't have a K level. I think grade 1 is too much because she's only barely starting to read.

I realize I'm a question-asking fool on here lately. Sorry! :tongue_smilie: Just trying to cover all my bases before I start school again in August!

ok. Hm. I can't seem to find many LA programs for K-ers anyway if you already have phonics covered. I just want to make sure we start off on the wrong foot! I think I waited too long to really get into writing & grammar with my boys and I don't want to do that again!!

I think K language arts should include literature, handwriting and phonics or reading instruction. Literature can just be reading aloud picture books from the library - I don't think anyone needs a curriculum for that. I think it's probably better to have a handwriting program though. ETC does involve a good bit of writing, but it's not the same as writing instruction.

I have A Reason for Handwriting K and ETC for phonics. I also have Bob books and other beginner readers, and we aren't lacking for literature, that's for sure! I try to read novels to the kids regularly, and she also likes picture books.

I guess I will :chillpill: and wait until next year (1st grade) to include a real "English" or grammar-type work since that's a little hard to do when you can't read and write sentences yet, eh?

Like I said, just wanted to make sure and perhaps I'm a little paranoid because I felt like I didn't do enough grammar with my boys when they were young. Well, I *did* try SL LA twice, but they just got more behind because it was not cutting it. Poor guinea pigs! Just want to do it right from day 1 this time.