Menu

Life of Fred questions

Kfamily

ETA: Sorry, she will be a 4th grader this fall.

I think my younger dd would really like the Life of Fred math series. But....I think the series is a little pricey for us, so I was wondering the following questions:

Could we start towards the end of the elementary series?

Or should I just wait a little longer and start her in the middle school levels (fractions, pre-algebra, etc.)?

I have all of Singapore and all of R&S and would not need these to be anything more than interesting and supplemental. I think she would really like the approach, which is why I would add them.

What do you think?

You don't need a TM for these, right? Or do I?

Thanks!

Edited by Kfamily

I think my younger dd would really like the Life of Fred math series. But....I think the series is a little pricey for us, so I was wondering the following questions:

Could we start towards the end of the elementary series? yes, you could do this

Or should I just wait a little longer and start her in the middle school levels (fractions, pre-algebra, etc.)? yes, you could do this too.

I have all of Singapore and all of R&S and would not need these to be anything more than interesting and supplemental. I think she would really like the approach, which is why I would add them.

What do you think?

You don't need a TM for these, right? Or do I? no, there are no tms

How old is your dd? what math has she done so far? That would help with advising which course to take, both are possible.

:lol: You were editing while I was responding. Ok, for so a rising 4th grader, what *I* would do is start with Apples (that is what I did with my 4th grader). She loved it, and it really engaged her with math, on a deeper conceptual level.

However, you could start with Edgewood, if $$ is an object. Do E-I and she will have an alternate, excellent view of 3rd-4th grade math.

Or, if she has mastered long division, (or when she does), start with Fractions.

Whatever you do, start with one book to make sure it appeals to you both. We *love* these books, but some people don't, so buy one and try it out rather than investing in a whole set.

Def check your library, and ask around to friends. I borrowed at least one from a friend.

I am glad I didn't buy them all at once. I found my son enjoyed them, but he wasn't retaining a single thing from Fred. He was totally unable to apply anything he learned from Fred and apply it to SM or anything else. It just didn't click with him. FWIW, he is fine in math, I know because I just got his test scores back and he was in the 98%. But, when it came time to apply anything from Fred he just looked poleaxed. Of course, he is 12 so he looks like that a lot of the time. Who knows?

Anyway, I think it is a great resource. SO, give it a try and see if it works for your child. It took use three books before we finally decided to just quit Fred. I must admit it feels good not to have that big purchase sitting my my Rainbow basket.

We do CLE math here, and I am starting LOF as a fun supplemental this next year. We will probably only do it once or twice per week. I am not really worried about seeing them apply it in "real life", as it will just be another fun way for them to experience math and look at things from a different angle.

This will be for my oldest two. DD is 10 and DS is 7 (There are some youngers, too. Who knows, maybe they'll pick up something!) We are going to go ahead and just start with apples, since this is probably about right for DS7, and I am not worries about matching up with grade level. If it bores DD10, I will either move her up or possibly have her teach it to DD7. She loves doing this.

As for price, I waited until I could snag some used. This is not easy but IS possible, if you are patient, which can be difficult! :) I recently purchased the first five for 10ppd each from here on the WTM forums.