Menu

Solid 6th grade math programs

I'm looking for a mastery based, very solid, conceptual 6th grade math program that prepares children for success on standardized tests.

This is our last year homeschooling. For 7th grade and up Autumn will be going to a brick and mortar Catholic school (hence the reason I need something that will test well and prepare her for either pre-algebra or algebra - the school does give the option of advanced math placement).

Not Saxon, Math Mammoth, or CLE (while she seemed to do well with CLE last year, retention is now coming clear as completely random - something we've never had a problem with before CLE).

Suggestions?

Rod and Staff fits your list of wants. :) It's just plain math, no fluff and gimmicks. The instructions are straightforward and easy to understand, and presented in mastery format, with a review section at the end of every lesson to keep old concepts fresh. There's an optional scripted teaching presentation in the TE for the new concepts, as well as a short oral quiz, and tips to catch common errors.

It's a Mennonite company, but that only comes out in the illustrations and volume of farming examples in story problems.

Did u try singapore yet.?

I did... but only for a few weeks. Autumn found it distracting. My concern with Singapore is that it seems to follow its own scope and sequence; this is Autumn's last year at home and she will need to test into the Catholic school next year, so she needs to not miss things that Singapore assumes she will learn later. I did think about trying Singapore Standards 6A and 6B again, because it is the last level and should ready the student for algebra, I would assume.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Rod and Staff fits your list of wants. :) It's just plain math, no fluff and gimmicks. The instructions are straightforward and easy to understand, and presented in mastery format, with a review section at the end of every lesson to keep old concepts fresh. There's an optional scripted teaching presentation in the TE for the new concepts, as well as a short oral quiz, and tips to catch common errors.

It's a Mennonite company, but that only comes out in the illustrations and volume of farming examples in story problems.