Menu

Homemade Nut Milk and Choc "Cheesecake"

I'm on a bit of a raw kick and finally made some homemade nut milk. Last week I used almonds and cashews and then I used the leftover nut pulp to make nut crackers. This week I just did cashews(raw) and also made a raw cheesecake. I ended up 1/2 gallon of nutmilk and a yummy "cheesecake" as well.

Nutmilk Recipe

(there are tons of recipes most of which are exactly the same)

1 c. raw nuts- raw cashews or almonds are good

4 c water

Soak nuts in water at least 3 hrs. I did 24 hrs as I don't have a super blender. Drain soaking water and add 4 c fresh water. Blend until well mixed, I did a double batch and then split it into 4 batches in my food processer, processing each batch for 3-4 minutes. I strained it afterwards through a large cotton tea strainer. I ended up w/ 1 c pulp.

I then made a 1/2 batch of this recipe and this one, which was great except I misread switching back and forth and added WAY too much salt(1 tsp for 1/2 a batch!).

* I also added the juice of 1 lemon because I really think it makes raw cheesecakes pop.

*I used almond flour for the crust

*Dates for the sweetner in the crust

* I used the fresh cashew milk in place of the water for the filling.

Since I had soaked the cashews so long they blended nice and perfectly smooth and the texture was perfect.

I pay $4.22 lb for cashews, so 1/2 gallon of nutmilk cost $2.11, plus I ended up w/ the one cup of nut pulp to reuse as well. There is also no preservatives and such in the homemade variety. You can add vanilla and honey/maple syrup if you wish to make a sweet version but I've just left mine plain that way I can use it in sweet(smoothies) or savory dishes (ie cream/"cheese" sauces).

I made this today

http://www.therawtarian.com/raw-brownie-recipe

They are awesome! And easy to make:001_smile:

I also made a 1/2 raw sweet potato pie-it was great. I used walnuts, dates, and shredded unsweetened coconut for the crust. Mashed (cooked-I know of no other way) sweet potatoes, agave, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, with a bit of coconut milk (to thin) for the filling, and 1/2 cup of soaked cashews, agave, and coconut milk for an icing top.

That was an experiment, but it turned out great.

Yum.

I just ordered-Ani's Raw Food Essentials: Recipes and Techniques for Mastering the Art of Live Food.

Hopefully, I'll learn to make something other than sweets!:D

Looks good, I generally only make raw desserts as well. I'm not really a raw gal though. We were dairy free for so long and still on limited dairy it is a way to have some different treats.

I've made coco milk yogurt before but never nutmilk. I had some starter I ordered online though as we don't do soy. These days though we are doing some dairy though, which makes it altogether easier.