Menu

Is a Brock Magiscope good enough for logic age?

I don't think that is enough for what we did for biology. Here is a sample of pictures of slides we made last year. My friend that did science with us brought her magiscope so the kids could have two microscopes during the lessons, but the kids would always choose mine with the higher magnification. I'd wait to get one until I was doing biology.

Edited by Karen in CO

I don't think that is enough for what we did for biology. Here is a sample of pictures of slides we made last year. My friend that did science with us brought her magiscope so the kids could have two microscopes during the lessons, but the kids would always choose mine with the higher magnification. I'd wait to get one until I was doing biology.

So you were using the 1000X with oil rather than the 400X the magiscope makes? Did her magiscope have the 40X lower lens? It has to be ordered "extra".

Thanks

I have the Brock Magiscope with the highest power lenses, and I am really impressed-- and as a former genetics researcher who used to use microscopes that had to float on gas tables so that passing cars would not blur images when we took pictures of individual proteins or gene markers, I have used some nice microscopes :).

I also can take decent photos right through the objective, with a 35mm point and shoot, or even an iPod or iPad, handheld. Not exactly publication quality, but definitely fun.

For logic stage, I like that it's simplicity and durability allows the specimen to be the star of the show for them. There is time enough to teach them full microscopy in rhetoric stage, and the Brock can go with us anywhere since it requires no electricity. It does well with opaque objects, too.

Microscopes are a tough choice!

Microscopes are a tough choice!

I know. The stronger lens is 40+ bucks. We enjoy being able to pop the Brock outside for a look at a petal that is still on the flower, but perhaps I should just put that 40 some bucks towards a more traditional scope. OTOH, I'm in a state where hsers can enroll in just one or a few classes, and I'm just down the street from a decent lab class for the high school age .... decisions decisions.