Menu

Kindergarten vs. Preschool

My ds turned 4 in April and wanted to start big boy school shortly thereafter. So we started doing little fun workbooks and the preschool workbooks from Rod & Staff. We also started Hooked on Phonics Preschool, the Pre-Explode the Code books (almost finished with book B), and Answers in Genesis Preschool. He does have a bit of a speech problem since he didn't start talking until he was 3.5. He still has some fairly substantial pronunciation problems. recognizes all numbers to 20 and can fluently count to 12. He has problems pronouncing the teen numbers but can count to 20+ with assistance.

He has a very good vocabulary for his age as well as a love for learning and enjoys doing workbooks. He would do them all day every if I let him. When we first started "big Boy" school he went through at least 10 workbooks (including hooked on phonics and explode the code A) in less than 2 weeks. He wants to start kindergarten and I think he is ready but I would like to continue with the Answers in Genesis preschool for extra writing practice as that is his major area of difficulty right now. Right now my main concerns are math and phonics. Can Math be taught using mainly inexpensive workbooks at this age? What do I do for phonics and reading for someone with speech issues? Is ETC and Primary Phonics and HOP good enough for kindergarten or do I need a full program? His favorite workbook right now is the pre-ETC books. I am debating on whether to start primary phonics on top of the ETC and Hooked on Phonics we are already doing. Or to start a different program that might be more teacher friendly since I do not really know much on the topic.

I did not learn to read using phonics and have no idea how to teach it. I am one of those people that are fine with teaching higher grades including level math and science but am terrified of teaching Phonics and Reading. This is my only fear in homeschooling throughout the entire 13 years. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Audrey

My son had speech issues but was ready to learn to read at 4.5yo. I decided to start because anytime I read to him he'd ask where a certain word was on the page, what it looked like. We used Phonics Pathways. It was slow at first as he learned the vowel sounds, but once he had those down he was able to do at least a page a day. I didn't push him, just made sure we practiced those vowel sounds every day. That and actually reading books is how he learned to read; I didn't use any workbooks with him. The key was making sure he understood the difference between sounds--short e and short i, for example--even though he had trouble differentiating them in his speech.

My ds turned 4 in April and wanted to start big boy school shortly thereafter. So we started doing little fun workbooks and the preschool workbooks from Rod & Staff. We also started Hooked on Phonics Preschool, the Pre-Explode the Code books (almost finished with book B), and Answers in Genesis Preschool. He does have a bit of a speech problem since he didn't start talking until he was 3.5. He still has some fairly substantial pronunciation problems. recognizes all numbers to 20 and can fluently count to 12. He has problems pronouncing the teen numbers but can count to 20+ with assistance.

He has a very good vocabulary for his age as well as a love for learning and enjoys doing workbooks. He would do them all day every if I let him. When we first started "big Boy" school he went through at least 10 workbooks (including hooked on phonics and explode the code A) in less than 2 weeks. He wants to start kindergarten and I think he is ready but I would like to continue with the Answers in Genesis preschool for extra writing practice as that is his major area of difficulty right now. Right now my main concerns are math and phonics. Can Math be taught using mainly inexpensive workbooks at this age? What do I do for phonics and reading for someone with speech issues? Is ETC and Primary Phonics and HOP good enough for kindergarten or do I need a full program? His favorite workbook right now is the pre-ETC books. I am debating on whether to start primary phonics on top of the ETC and Hooked on Phonics we are already doing. Or to start a different program that might be more teacher friendly since I do not really know much on the topic.

I did not learn to read using phonics and have no idea how to teach it. I am one of those people that are fine with teaching higher grades including level math and science but am terrified of teaching Phonics and Reading. This is my only fear in homeschooling throughout the entire 13 years. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Audrey

Neither one. You just teach him. He is too young to be officially considered kindergarten age, but he's not too young for you to teach him whatever he is capable of learning.

I would not recommend doing more than ETC with a 4yo, unless *he* really pushes. When he completes all the ETC books, then you can look at something else. As you can tell by my siggy, I'm a Spalding geek, so of course that's what I'd recommend as the next step, although you could start with it now and just move slowly. The manual (Writing Road to Reading) discusses what to do with pre-school-age children.

Teaching phonics is not that difficult; in fact, it will be more difficult for you if you focus on how you didn't learn to read that way and that you don't know how to teach phonics--a self-fulfilling prophecy, you see. :) Even those who learned to read with phonics won't necessarily know how to teach someone else to read.

I would *call* him 4K / preschool for another year (until the September after his 5th bday, when I would call him a kindergartener). That's where he would be if he were in public school, and the only reason you need the grade title is for things like Sunday School placement, sports team placement, etc.

No matter grade what you call him, you teach him at his level. If he wants to do ETC, go for it! If he wants to start really learning to read with OPGTR, go for it! For math, try something like Miquon or one of the family game books aimed preschool/kindergarteners.

Just don't push and burn him out!

He has a very good vocabulary for his age as well as a love for learning and enjoys doing workbooks. He would do them all day every if I let him. When we first started "big Boy" school he went through at least 10 workbooks (including hooked on phonics and explode the code A) in less than 2 weeks. He wants to start kindergarten and I think he is ready but I would like to continue with the Answers in Genesis preschool for extra writing practice as that is his major area of difficulty right now. Right now my main concerns are math and phonics.

I agree with the others to call him the grade level based solely on his age, and wait until the year that public schools would allow him to enter K to call him a Kindergartener. If you don't want to call him a preschooler this year, you could use the label of PreKindergarten or K-4 or Jr. K -- with the understanding that he will be K next year. Regardless of what his grade label is, teach him whatever he is ready for.

Can Math be taught using mainly inexpensive workbooks at this age?
Yes! It can also be taught without workbooks or curriculum at all. My favorite way to teach math at this age is with games. There are plenty of fun ways to get them thinking about and understanding what numbers mean and how to play with them. I would personally avoid workbooks if he doesn't like them.

What do I do for phonics and reading for someone with speech issues? Is ETC and Primary Phonics and HOP good enough for kindergarten or do I need a full program? His favorite workbook right now is the pre-ETC books. I am debating on whether to start primary phonics on top of the ETC and Hooked on Phonics we are already doing. Or to start a different program that might be more teacher friendly since I do not really know much on the topic.

Thanks,

Audrey

My youngest has some speech articulation problems and I definately see it interfere at times with reading and math. I really don't know if there is particular program that would be better than another. I would think that what you list would be fine. If he is seeing a Speech Therapist, it might be interesting to see what he/she would recommend in a learning-to-read program for him. (I won't expect them to recommend a particular program, but they might have some insight on what kinds of things to look for or avoid.) If he is enjoying the ETC books, I'd go with his momentum. If you would like to try something with more teacher instruction I recommend All About Reading.

When I've seen the articulation problems create an issue while I'm teaching my son, I've just adapted on the spot. For example, his biggest problem right now is that he is unable to make either sound for /th/. When he was counting to 20, the numbers 13 and 14 sounded the same when he said them and he was prone to skipping one of the numbers. When I realized that he was pronouncing them so similarly, and was unable to make even the vowel distinction between ir and or, I let him 'nickname' number 13 to be three-teen. We also talked about the need to remember both numbers even though they sounded so much alike. It make a huge difference for him. We did the same thing with 30 and 40, calling them 3 tens and 4 tens for clarity, even though he knows their actual names.

In reading, when he began reading words that use a /th/ I would sometimes have him identify the word when I said it - to make sure that he was hearing the difference between /th/ and /f/ even though he couldn't make it himself. So I'd show him 'that' and 'fat' written out and he would have to pick the one that I said.

Be encouraged! You can figure this out!

I'm going to agree with everyone else. I just start with where they are and move forward as they are willing and able, no matter what age or grade they are.

Last year my 4 year old started with PAL for reading. He was starting to figure out reading for himself right before his 4th birthday and wanted to follow his lead without him teaching himself (and me having to follow behind to teach rules after he fact and him finding it boring). We've done it slowly (I don't want him having so much seat time that young), but he loves it and asks for it if we go too many days without it. I also added in some AAS and alternate between the two.

PAL has a lot of file folder games that I keep accessible to him and he gets them out himself to play with during free times.

Oh, and some speech issues may resolve as he progresses with reading. Once my son saw the letters used in words he realized he was saying certain sounds incorrectly. 'dr' was /j/, 'th' was/fr/, etc.

In PAL they also have certain hints for sounds on how to form your mouth, AAS has a CD with the phonetic sounds so I can hear how I need to say the sounds.

My youngest had a speech delay and we're not there yet with him, but I do know articulation issues with my 4-year old improved dramatically with learning to read coupled with me helping him form his mouth correctly for the sounds.

I'd agree to hold off on calling it "Kindergarten" for another year. We're doing that this year with my younger son who decided to call it "Jr. Kindergarten".

I'm no help for reading (Dh's department), but you can definitely teach kindergarten math with just fun workbooks. That's exactly what my older son did. With my younger guy, I'm using Singapore Essential Math, which is very, very inexpensive and easy to use.

I would like to use some kind of stand alone educational toy for him to play with that might help with phonics especially. I have been look at the leapfrog leappad and was wondering if anyone here had used one with any of their children. How did it work for you? Trying to implement more play things. He loves doing workbooks but I am starting to burn myself out on them he goes through them so fast.