Menu

Is AAS also phonics?

bnwhitaker

Is AAS also phonics? OR will I need that extra?

If you use it as phonics instead of spelling, then it's phonics. You can then go back through and use it again later as spelling. Personally, I'd get AAR for teaching reading and AAS to teach spelling once level 1 of AAR is complete. .02

I'm not sure if there's a right answer to this.

I think you *could* use it for phonics, and there is some overlap (also overlaps with grammar). But I tend to think spelling is a phonics exercise that is the reverse of phonics for reading. For spelling you think of a word, *learn to segment it out into its sounds* and write down those sounds. For reading you look at a word that is printed, sound out the letters, and *blend the sounds together* to read the word. One is encoding (spelling) and one is decoding (reading). So although a good knowledge of the same thing (phonics) helps train a child to both spell & read, they are different skills. YKWIM?

I found out that with my kids just because a child can read well does NOT mean he can spell. And I'm sure the opposite is true.

SOooo :tongue_smilie: that said, I would personally buy a phonics program on top of AAS and then whatever phonics your child picks up from AAS I would consider a bonus. I definitely think AAS will help a lot, but I would make sure you are really hitting the skill of decoding words that are already there rather than just building your own words. Plus, AAS is geared toward spelling, not reading.

Hope that makes sense. :001_smile:

Edited by TaraJo29

Thank you everyone.

Tara, I think I do understand a bit more, thank you for explaining that. My boys have already gone through rod & staff 1st grade but their reading, phonics are very weak. My oldest when I asked him what he thougth of reading he said, "I hate it". He doesnt usually say these things unless he means it. I realized we struggled all year. He hates to sound words out and so almost always guesses and I have to make him sound it out while he is dreading it. So I was thinking of stepping backwards a bit and getting their phonics and reading going better. So I was thinking of ETC, AAS w/ Shurley english, w/ a few phonics games. But I wasnt sure if I still needed to add some phonics or not?? It gets so confusing when some people will say ETC (online) is "reading not phonics" and then when I pull it up and watch their website they call it "phonics"?? I was also thinking of adding PAL because it would for sure have phonics, work on their handwriting and also some games???

I'm not sure if there's a right answer to this.

I think you *could* use it for phonics, and there is some overlap (also overlaps with grammar). But I tend to think spelling is a phonics exercise that is the reverse of phonics for reading. For spelling you think of a word, *learn to segment it out into its sounds* and write down those sounds. For reading you look at a word that is printed, sound out the letters, and *blend the sounds together* to read the word. One is encoding (spelling) and one is decoding (reading). So although a good knowledge of the same thing (phonics) helps train a child to both spell & read, they are different skills. YKWIM?

I found out that with my kids just because a child can read well does NOT mean he can spell. And I'm sure the opposite is true.

SOooo :tongue_smilie: that said, I would personally buy a phonics program on top of AAS and then whatever phonics your child picks up from AAS I would consider a bonus. I definitely think AAS will help a lot, but I would make sure you are really hitting the skill of decoding words that are already there rather than just building your own words. Plus, AAS is geared toward spelling, not reading.

Hope that makes sense. :001_smile:

Thank you everyone.

Tara, I think I do understand a bit more, thank you for explaining that. My boys have already gone through rod & staff 1st grade but their reading, phonics are very weak. My oldest when I asked him what he thougth of reading he said, "I hate it". He doesnt usually say these things unless he means it. I realized we struggled all year. He hates to sound words out and so almost always guesses and I have to make him sound it out while he is dreading it. So I was thinking of stepping backwards a bit and getting their phonics and reading going better. So I was thinking of ETC, AAS w/ Shurley english, w/ a few phonics games. But I wasnt sure if I still needed to add some phonics or not?? It gets so confusing when some people will say ETC (online) is "reading not phonics" and then when I pull it up and watch their website they call it "phonics"?? I was also thinking of adding PAL because it would for sure have phonics, work on their handwriting and also some games???

Thank you everyone.

Tara, I think I do understand a bit more, thank you for explaining that. My boys have already gone through rod & staff 1st grade but their reading, phonics are very weak. My oldest when I asked him what he thought of reading he said, "I hate it". He doesn't usually say these things unless he means it. I realized we struggled all year. He hates to sound words out and so almost always guesses and I have to make him sound it out while he is dreading it. So I was thinking of stepping backwards a bit and getting their phonics and reading going better. So I was thinking of ETC, AAS w/ Shurley english, w/ a few phonics games. But I wasnt sure if I still needed to add some phonics or not?? It gets so confusing when some people will say ETC (online) is "reading not phonics" and then when I pull it up and watch their website they call it "phonics"?? I was also thinking of adding PAL because it would for sure have phonics, work on their handwriting and also some games???

I'd be more inclined to not worry about spelling right now and focus on reading. AAR 1 is available and AAR 2 should be in September. We don't use a grammar program until 3rd grade. Before that I teach through their daily work things like capital letters and punctuation.

AAS teaches spelling through a phonics-based technique, so yes - it includes phonics, but from an encoding perspective, not a decoding perspective (like a reading program does). Many children learn how to decode (read) faster than they learn to encode (spell). My oldest is like this, so she went through her reading program FIRST, then we did AAS to reinforce phonics AND to teach encoding - which didn't follow naturally for her.

HTH! :)

yes and no,.

Yes, it is phonics in the most basic version of the term.

No, its not really suitable to be used as such because of its layout (it moves slow, then fast, then slow etc, not actually slowing down on the ones you need for "Reading" but for "spelling")

There are heaps of people that used it for phonics, but I can't honestly recommend it for that. I would suggest getting AAR or OPGTR or some other phonics program and starting AAS next year for spelling and to pick up on any gaps etc. Its more like a review of what you should already know coupled with "spelling" :tongue_smilie:

Thank you everyone.

Tara, I think I do understand a bit more, thank you for explaining that. My boys have already gone through rod & staff 1st grade but their reading, phonics are very weak. My oldest when I asked him what he thougth of reading he said, "I hate it". He doesnt usually say these things unless he means it. I realized we struggled all year. He hates to sound words out and so almost always guesses and I have to make him sound it out while he is dreading it. So I was thinking of stepping backwards a bit and getting their phonics and reading going better.

Do you have any of the Nora Gaydos readers? They are so much fun!