Menu

Resources for teaching sewing

MiniBlondes

DD9 wants to learn to sew this year. I have a machine that I haven't used in 5+ years and I'm honestly not even sure if I can remember how to use it. I have some patterns and a pile of fabric as well. I'm thinking about picking up a few American Girl patterns for her since I know she'd love to do that.

Does anyone know of a program or place where I can get some basic instruction for her? Or should I just jump in somewhere and show her what I know?

I haven't done a formal curriculum because I think it would take such a backseat to everything else that I'd forget about it.

But -- when sewing whims take my daughter, I have her embroider something or make a doll dress or use my sewing machine to make a pillow. It seems to satisfy her. One day I'll sign her up for a sewing class at Joanne's or our other local sewing shop.

I love this.

It is perfect for my DD8 because it does not require a machine, and can be done semi-independently. It covers: getting ready to sew, sewing safely, how to begin, basic sewing stiches, basic embroidery stitches, how to sew on a button and finishes and trim. There are also 14 basic projects. Develops patience, work ethic and is heping her to master hand stitches. It also has a cute vintage style.

We used a Klutz book when the older two girls were younger as a jump starter.

I have another book with some of the same projects, but they focus on machine sewing once you get past the easy first few. Can't remember what that one is right now, though.

Oldest just finished a Barbie doll dress for our county fair. DD#2 is making a dress for her American Girl doll (pattern found free online). We do these in our "spare" time.

They each have needle books, pin cushions, scented satchets, and drawstring pouches that they made themselves. They finally each finished their aprons (made from towels) this spring.