Menu

Omaha, Nebraska?

My husband and I are considering moving to Omaha, NE (in a couple of years)- anyone from there? How is homeschooling in NE? What can you tell me about the area? We currently live in the Pacific NW. We aren't used to snow! BRRRR.

Thanks!

Lisa

My husband and I are considering moving to Omaha, NE (in a couple of years)- anyone from there? How is homeschooling in NE? What can you tell me about the area? We currently live in the Pacific NW. We aren't used to snow! BRRRR.

I probably can't help much, but I'll try.

We're moving to Nebraska in (gulp) 5 days. From what I *hear* homeschooling is easy. You have to report annually, and maintain records, but not much else. There's a big homeschool group in Omaha (http://www.omahahen.org) and it sounds fairly active.

I grew up in Idaho/Oregon, but have lived in the midwest for the past 7 years. It was a big transition, but I really love it here now!

Hillary

• 1 month later...

We just moved here about 6 months ago, so I can tell you what I have found so far - but there is so much more available for homeschooling than I'm used to! First, let me say that I moved from one of the most restricted homeschooling states, to NE, which is on the opposite side of the spectrum! I had to complete a questionaire (mostly about me and my education, my experience teaching), and have a couple forms notarized (saying that yes, my DH and I want to homeschool, and that I am 'the principal'), as well as provide some basic information about hours/curriculum. But I have nothing else to submit - no portfolio nor any required testing. There are two options for homeschooling - one is a religious exemption, the other is a non-religious exemption.

There is a very large Christian homeschool population here - some churches have their own groups. Omaha HEN (see above post) is the largest Christian group - and is community wide. There is also a secular group - Nebraska Secular Home Educators (NESHE). There is also a separate Homeschool High School group. Many homeschool-specific opportunities in and around the city - band, orchestra, theatre, sports, Boy Scouts, American Heritage Girls, 4-H,... Also lots of great learning opportunities here as well - fantasic zoo, children's museum, local/area history museum, botanical garden, great hiking in state parks, lots of local parks/playgrounds/pools, HUGE library system....

Hope this helps! If there is something specific you'd like to know, I'd be happy to try to answer!