Menu

A question for those that have used TT Geometry

I used it with my DD this year. We did one lesson or test per day. We didn't use the DVD lecture, because she preferred I teach her, but other than that followed the path you described.

I was nervous whether she really retained it, but felt much better when she tested out of geometry at the private high school we hope to send her to with a 94%.

I used it with my DD this year. We did one lesson or test per day. We didn't use the DVD lecture, because she preferred I teach her, but other than that followed the path you described.

I was nervous whether she really retained it, but felt much better when she tested out of geometry at the private high school we hope to send her to with a 94%.

Same here. EK did TT Geometry in 10th grade; she did not use the CDs because she & I both preferred that I teach her. We did one lesson or test per day, although occasionally, if the lesson was a light or easy one, we doubled up and did two per day.

Guest CARDIOSTEF

I am considering using TT for Geometry this year, primarily because of the DVD teaching. For those of you that didn't use the DVD's would you have chosen a different option if you had not already invested in TT?

I am considering using TT for Geometry this year, primarily because of the DVD teaching. For those of you that didn't use the DVD's would you have chosen a different option if you had not already invested in TT?

Nope. I would still go with TT. Watching the lesson CDs takes a lot more time than just reading through the lesson yourself. My kids had rather just do it on their own instead. When they did use the CDs it was usually to watch the practice problems if they couldn't work them.

My son is finishing this up and, honestly, we found one lesson per day to be a lot. I called TT and they said they purposefully made Geometry with fewer lessons b/c they knew students would need extra time on the lessons. We would also take time after finishing the chapter to review all the different problem types, theorems, etc. before taking the test. So, it is taking us longer than 1 year to complete it. Caveat here - my son is on the younger side. He was in 8th grade when he did the program.

Like others, we did not use the CD's; he would read the lesson, do the practice problems, check them and then do all the lesson problems. Between that and checking/correcting the lesson with me - it would usually run over - taking us 3 days to do two lessons.

Hope that helps!

That's great to hear! :001_smile:

We used it but it was not a good fit for my son. He did not understand the proofs, and there were a LOT of proofs, even if they were on the simple side. We used all the tools available. We ended up ditching it and he never really got the geometry at all.

I make son read the chapter lesson and do the practice (a-e) problems the day before. The readings usually are different from the lectures for TT. BUt son does not like to listen to the lectures. Then we sit down (I supervise) and do the entire lesson in less than 45 minutes. He uses the CDs if he is stumped on a problem.