Menu

Lego WeDo vs. jumping right in with Mindstorms

Guest StreuselMama

Guest StreuselMama

I've been doing quite a bit of research in trying to decide whether we should get WeDo or Mindstorms for my 8yoDS. He has a natural inclination towards engineering, and if I did too, I might not worry about jumping into the Mindstorms kit.

For those of you, who started with WeDo, was it a worthwhile foundation? Did it help you get a handle on everything before the more advanced Mindstorms challenges? Or was it "Mindstorms Lite" and could safely be skipped with a motivated 8yo and non-technical parent?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!!

Guest submarines
I've been doing quite a bit of research in trying to decide whether we should get WeDo or Mindstorms for my 8yoDS. He has a natural inclination towards engineering, and if I did too, I might not worry about jumping into the Mindstorms kit.

For those of you, who started with WeDo, was it a worthwhile foundation? Did it help you get a handle on everything before the more advanced Mindstorms challenges? Or was it "Mindstorms Lite" and could safely be skipped with a motivated 8yo and non-technical parent?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!!

:bigear:

For an 8 y.o. I'm going to say go right to the Mindstorm. We did have experience with WeDo, but it was only a week long engineering camp. It was helpful, but not necessary. What has been most useful for the Mindstorm is just ds's building and design experience with regular and technic legos.

Are there any classes or teams in your area? That is where the real learning has come about for us, since I know very little about robotics or programming.

I'd definitely go with Mindstorms. I coach a Jr. FLL team that consists of 6 and 7 year old kids and have never had a problem with them using Mindstorms. They never used the WeDo kits and jumped right in with Mindstorms.