Menu

Questions for implementing SOTW1...

I have purchased the SOTW Ancients audio CDs (trying to reduce slightly the amount of reading out loud I have to do, lol), along with the AG. My questions:

- Do I also need black line maps, or are the black line maps in the AG all I need? In WTM, SWB recommends purchasing black line maps, but not sure why since they are included in the AG. Is there a set out there that is better than those found in the AG?

Is there a historical atlas that anyone recommends for children?

As I get closer to our start date, I'm trying to work out the kinks and details of my plan! Thank so much for your help.

I have purchased the SOTW Ancients audio CDs (trying to reduce slightly the amount of reading out loud I have to do, lol), along with the AG. My questions:

- Do I also need black line maps, or are the black line maps in the AG all I need? In WTM, SWB recommends purchasing black line maps, but not sure why since they are included in the AG. Is there a set out there that is better than those found in the AG?

Is there a historical atlas that anyone recommends for children?

As I get closer to our start date, I'm trying to work out the kinks and details of my plan! Thank so much for your help.

Get a big (flat) world map and enough length of clear vinyl to make a table cloth from the fabric store. Put the map on your table and the vinyl over the map. Voila! A protected, useable map table cloth.

You could switch it out for a USA map when you get to vol. 3 & 4. :D

We did Ancients last year and it was great fun! I didn't even have the AG or the cd's(saved my voice this year!). We used the Evan-Moor History Pockets for Ancient Civilizations http://www.amazon.com/History-Pockets-Ancient-Civilizations-Grades/dp/1557999007 . I did plan ahead just a bit.. but generally I started the pocket the first time we saw that civilization and worked on it whenever the chapter was about them. It was great! We also checked out lots of books from the library.

I didn't know about this site until I saw it here on the forums AFTER we were done! lol She has LOTS of resources for SOTW1 including a marvelous lapbook.

http://runofthemillfamily.blogspot.com/p/story-of-world-resources-for-volume-one.html

Have fun planning.. You and ds are going to have so much fun!

We did Ancients last year and it was great fun! I didn't even have the AG or the cd's(saved my voice this year!). We used the Evan-Moor History Pockets for Ancient Civilizations http://www.amazon.com/History-Pockets-Ancient-Civilizations-Grades/dp/1557999007 . I did plan ahead just a bit.. but generally I started the pocket the first time we saw that civilization and worked on it whenever the chapter was about them. It was great! We also checked out lots of books from the library.

I didn't know about this site until I saw it here on the forums AFTER we were done! lol She has LOTS of resources for SOTW1 including a marvelous lapbook.

http://runofthemillfamily.blogspot.com/p/story-of-world-resources-for-volume-one.html

Have fun planning.. You and ds are going to have so much fun!

Thank you for including these websites. These are both great!

I will be honest with you - I did SotW1 last year with my 6 and 9 yr old (1st and 3rd grade). I did not find most of the maps very useful. In my experience, the children at their ages did not really have a clear context of what they were looking at - especially the 1st grader where I spent half the year just trying to get her clear on the continents and layout of the globe.

We have a big world map on our wall that you can use dry-erase markers on. This was our main go-to map. I had them do the mapwork early in the year but most of the time I think it was just an exercise in coloring and they did not get much substantial out of it. Your mileage may vary.

I did like *having* the maps and occasionally they were useful to demonstrate something - for example "Mesopotamia" being "between two rivers" and being able to show them on the clear, blown-up map that we could draw/color on, or a nice map differentiating Lower and Upper Egypt, etc. My kids did retain some of this. I think more would have been a waste of time. Student pages and a NICE world map in your home, sufficient for this age.