Menu

Sleep problems

I had to go to the ER with a nosebleed and have my nose packed on Wednesday. I slept some that night but tried sleeping up more. I can't breathe through my nose at all because both nostrils are packed. I've not been able to go to sleep at all tonight because as I'm falling asleep I'll take a quick breath in or blow a quick breath out and it wakes me back up.

My packing on one side is coming loose, and I've had some clots coming down with some fresh blood. I go to the ENT at 2:50 today.

Is this my body's way of keeping me awake because I'm nervous about it all? Or is it a reaction to being slightly sleep deprived?

Okay, maybe I shouldn't go looking on the internet for information. I'm finding things that packing the nose can cause too little carbon dioxide in the blood and cardiac arrest. Surely, they would have told me this was a risk if it is, right?

I had my nose packed once for massive nosebleed ( bleed for 24 hours). I spent the whole time it was packed in hospital. I know they kept me sitting upright , in fact more than upright, more like sitting forward.

Having my nose packed was one of the most unpleasant things I have ever experienced. The gauze was metres long! And they just kept shoving it up! I felt like an Egyptian mummy.

I had my nose packed once for massive nosebleed ( bleed for 24 hours). I spent the whole time it was packed in hospital. I know they kept me sitting upright , in fact more than upright, more like sitting forward.

Having my nose packed was one of the most unpleasant things I have ever experienced. The gauze was metres long! And they just kept shoving it up! I felt like an Egyptian mummy.

I have tubes in that they filled with water to expand. The problem is I have a deviated septum, so trying to get it in over the hump was very painful. They gave me no instruction on how to sleep, but I did try sleeping in the recliner. I read on the internet that it can cause sleep apnea, or worsen it if you have it already. I've never been diagnosed, but I do snore some. I always assumed it was the septum that made me do that. I guess I'm going to have to talk to the ENT about that, too.