Menu

Yet another LOE post

fraidycat

No, you don't.

I bought my copy AFTER I got essentials, but only because I wanted the crash course to be able to look for quick reference, and I think it has a little more discussion of the "why" behind the "how" of LOE Essentials. And because I am madly in love with the program as a terrible speller myself. That being said, I still haven't opened it.

She has a second edition coming out sometime this month, which is all the more reason to not buy the book yet. The curriculum does stand alone without it.

Hth!

Edited by BugsMama
For misspelling in a post about a spelling program

She has a second edition coming out sometime this month, which is all the more reason to not buy the book yet.

Yes. It will have more about word roots in it (so the authoress says).

I have no idea about the answer to your question, as I don't have The Essentials, but I have enjoyed ULOE very much. It is very easy to outline, and then condense. I have my own little rule sheet written out in a way that really sparks my memory.

I'm thinking about getting the book anyway...as a gift...for my Mom (and Dad). She affectionately calls herself "The World's Worst Speller". :) Just this morning, my Mom, Dad, and friend of my dad called me, in California, from Canada to ask me how to spell a word so they could google some information about it. This happens on a semi-regular basis, and a dictionary is of no use because you have to know approximately how to spell it to look it up in the dictionary!

Mom is a voracious reader. Dad is a very slow reader. Maybe they can "do school" together with Mom learning to spell and Dad learning to read (and spell) better. :)

I feel the same way as your mom- the dictionary IS totally useless, and while I have a fantastic oral vocabulary, I don't express myself as well in written word, because I spell SO badly that spell check can't even figure out what I am trying to say. It's embarrassing- I can't write notes, or help a child spell something. I blame it on "creative spelling" teaching methods. Anyway- my spelling is improving as the kids are learning. It's amazing. This sounds dumb, but its such a good feeling to have some HOPE.