Menu

I need to pick a math, any suggestions...

between Saxon 8/7 and CLE Math 7. My ds finished MM 6 and I was going to put him in pre-algebra, but based on his placement tests, I think he needs more foundational work. And he needs a spiral method (which MM 6 isn't and is probably the problem).

So I was going to purchase Saxon 8/7 with DIVE CD's. Ds's biggest complaint are the number of problems and the fact that he would have to write the problems down before computing them.

OR

Purchase CLE Math 7 and supplement with Khan videos. This would work o.k., but CLE doesn't seem to cover as many topics as Saxon's.

This is me.:confused:

Oh, and we are suppose to start the week of 7/23, and he has no math.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

between Saxon 8/7 and CLE Math 7. My ds finished MM 6 and I was going to put him in pre-algebra, but based on his placement tests, I think he needs more foundational work.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that Saxon 8/7 *is* prealgebra. I don't know the CLE levels. Did he take the Saxon placement test?

Based on his placement tests, have you been able to identify weaknesses in specific foundational topics (fractions, decimals, percents, integers, etc.), or is the problem with all of them?

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that Saxon 8/7 *is* prealgebra. I don't know the CLE levels. Did he take the Saxon placement test?

Based on his placement tests, have you been able to identify weaknesses in specific foundational topics (fractions, decimals, percents, integers, etc.), or is the problem with all of them?

What's in bold seems to be the problem. Multiplying/dividing fractions & decimals and percents. He even forgot how to add fractions with different denominators. Based on the Saxon website 8/7 will just move at a slower pace and is geared for 7th grade. It looked like Algebra 1/2 just moved a bit faster with a couple of topics at the end not covered in 8/7. I want him to have a solid foundation. Just trying to figure how best to do that.

What's in bold seems to be the problem. Multiplying/dividing fractions & decimals and percents. He even forgot how to add fractions with different denominators. Based on the Saxon website 8/7 will just move at a slower pace and is geared for 7th grade. It looked like Algebra 1/2 just moved a bit faster with a couple of topics at the end not covered in 8/7. I want him to have a solid foundation. Just trying to figure how best to do that.

I'm no Saxon expert (not my cup of tea) but, FWIW, my understanding was that one did either 8/7 or alg 1/2 but not both, and thus the 8/7 functions as prealgebra, because then Alg 1 comes next. Maybe the Saxon users will pipe in for you.

I would spend a little time - maybe a week - reviewing actual instruction on the concepts he forgot before you start your next math book, whatever you end up choosing. I'd go back and print out a few pages on each topic to assign, for example:

decimals, 6A pages 93-96

fractions 6A pages 170-171, 173-174, 176-179, 181-182

percents 6B pages 13-14, 16-17, 45-46

Edited by wapiti

Most Saxon people do either 87 or Algebra 1/2, but plenty of people do both if they feel like their kid needs the extra year to 'get it'. Starting with 87 should be fine - if it turns out next year that he still needs more practice, you can do 1/2, and if he's solid you can move on. Their hormone-addled brains sometimes need the extra year :-)

I also agree with the suggestion to do review for a few weeks. It sure can't hurt!

I think it all depends on whether you want continuity with high school curricula. We used CLE 500 math at one point and really enjoyed it. My dd loved the change from Singapore, well, actually a tag-on. If you are strongly considering Saxon for high school, I think, I would go ahead and jump aboard that ship.

If not, I would strongly consider CLE. There is a wonderful and pleasant spiral in CLE that kids don't seem to balk at and it definitely includes Pre-Algebra work. I know there are many families that move into Algebra after the 700's.

What are you currently using and could you simply add something like Mastering Essentials (Math Skills) workbook to your current curriculum? That's an easy 15 minute addition that I think would assist greatly with a child in need of more review.

I was going to suggest the Keys To ____ books, too, for some practice in the areas you know he's weak on. Then move onto prealgebra, which is a review of basic math with an introduction to algebra.

Horizon's prealgebra may be the middle ground it sounds like you're after. It's a workbook with a spiral approach that covers many topics.

700 is what people consider pre-algebra.

However, CLE might be hard to jump into, especially if you don't intend to continue it for high school.

If Saxon is a better fit for high school, I'd go with that.

(We love CLE here, but probably won't use it after 600 because we'll transition to something more traditional we can use all the way up.)