Menu

Literature Plan - too much?

Looking for feedback from other parents with advanced readers. This is our read aloud (literature plan) for a rising third grader. She is a strong reader, but all books will be (at least) started as a read aloud. The blanks are there because I expect the previous weeks' selection to take up that time. As I look at this, I feel a bit overwhelmed...

I would also like to do a lap book on each of these.

Week Of

2-Jul The Serpent Slayer and Other Stories of Strong Women

9-Jul Understood Betsy

16-Jul

23-Jul Beowulf

30-Jul Magician's Nephew (will be first intro to Narnia)

6-Aug

13-Aug Jungle Book

20-Aug Arabian knights

27-Aug

3-Sep Chinese Poems and fairy tales

10-Sep Because of Winn Dixie

17-Sep Swiss Family Robinson

BREAK

24-Sep

1-Oct Alice in Wonderland/looking glass

15-Oct

22-Oct Norse Myths and legends

29-Oct Princess and the Curdie

5-Nov Princess and the Goblin

12-Nov

19-Nov King Arthur Tales/Gawain and the Green Knight

26-Nov

3-Dec Jewish Fairy Tales

10-Dec McCaughrean Canterbury Tales

BREAK

31-Dec Smoky the Cowhorse

7-Jan Log of the Cowboy

14-Jan Water Babies

21-Jan Little Lord Fauntleroy

28-Jan

4-Feb Francie (Karen English)

11-Feb The Lost World

18-Feb

25-Feb Just so Stories/riki tiki tavi

4-Mar Treasure Island

11-Mar

Break

18-Mar Darby

1-Apr The Cay

8-Apr

15-Apr Pied Piper of Hamlin

22-Apr Black Beauty

29-Apr Tales from Shakespeare Charles Lamb

6-May

13-May Secret Garden

20-May Indian in the Cupboard

27-May

3-Jun Flower Fables

Am I nuts? We do a lot of reading here, but I've never planned a 'curriculum' for it. These are mostly TWTM and GBA recommendations. Over the past year, DS (who just turned 8) has independently read all the Little House, All Roald Dahl, All Lang Fairy Books, some Newberry, etc...

With the exception of a few titles that I'm not familiar with, I think your list is really good.

It does seem like a pretty fast pace to go through the books, though. This may or not be helpful to you, but I've started doing something like a parallel strand reading list. One strand is for books that we just want to devour and can't put down, so we just read them as fast as we want to. Books like Little House on the Prairie and Trumpet of the Swan are in this category.

The other strand (list) is books that I want us to linger over, and not hurry through. Those are read according to a pretty strict schedule (with some exceptions) and so they stretch out to last a longer period of time. These books tend to be more challenging ones that have themes I want to discuss or beautiful language that I want us to savor. We only do notebook pages, or a lapbook, for books on this second strand. So, we read from each list almost daily, but with different purposes each time.

I *really* like your two strand idea. My only concern is that in addition to the above literature "course", DD also has 40min/day of assigned reading, where she can pick among a limited amount of titles that I have chosen (These are usually non-fiction or biographies related to what we are currently studying in History.) Maybe I should put some of the lighter fare from above into that category and, as you say, savor the good stuff?

Thank you!

What would you put into strand 2 here? I def think King Arthur, Treasure Island, Canterbury, Shakespeare, Serpent Slayer....hmmm...

Great list, but even for a fast reader (I have those) this seems like a LOT of reading on a rather tight schedule. I am not sure what you are meaning to accomplish. Why have such a detailed schedule at all? Why not simply make a list and go from the top, allowing your kid to take whatever time necessary, and to maybe explore rabbit trails and change the order? (Mine would for example have wanted to continue Narnia after getting hooked by Magician'sNephew, or would have wanted to dwell on Norse mythology for several weeks.)

Btw, some of the selections are quite challenging language wise- I have very strong, accelerated readers, but Treasure Island in the original is a difficult read, and they might not have gotten through it in 3rd grade in a single week.

ETA: Doing a lapbook for EACH will take a up a huge amount of time and would , for my children, have been a sure way to turn them of reading. I suggest you make sure your kids actually enjoy doing stuff like this. You also might want to do them just for selected books and leave others just for reading.

Edited by regentrude

I would think a list system would be better as well, mostly because I think some of your timing is off (but you may know best). IMO, Magician's Nephew, Indian in the Cupboard, Understood Betsy, the Cay (although DS would not have been ready for it content wise in 3rd grade - he's sensitive though) would all have been quick reads. On the other hand, Swiss Family Robinson - we slogged through that book, Treasure Island, another one that would be longer than 2 weeks for sure.

For a while, we did a family book club and, while we didn't do a lap book for each book, we did have a scrapbook. It was just one book a month though.

I also agree with Regentrude that DS would have wanted to continue with series, add in more of mythology, explore some of the genres on his own, which I encourage. Part of my exposing him to literature is to encourage him to be an independent reader, not to read what he's told, so personally, I would make sure there was time during school hours for that. But that's me. :001_smile:

I agree with the list as well. I keep a list for dd9, which I continually add too and she reads through it at her own pace. There are always more books to add if she reads quickly, but if she is really taking her time with one we aren't "behind" either. This year we are going to add a more in depth study of a few books through the year.

It is a good list of books. How detailed are your lapbooks going to be? For us lapbooks took about 45 minutes a day for a week or so to finish one. So if it were us I'd pick and choose which books get lapbooks.

As for series, I addressed that by having the other books in the series available for after school reading.

My kids are younger, but for a read aloud I'd think that wouldn't change the pace that much.

It looks like a very rigorous/full schedule. I think as long as you are willing to deviate from the schedule, it isn't bad. I think a lapbook for each book at that pace could endanger a love of books for their own sake- if your child loves them and would work on it while you read, it wouldn't be a problem.

I like to have a plan that is full and rich - then I am willing to not keep up with it, but am happy to have the resources planned out and available for myself so we are not left without something good to do. If you approach it like that, then I think it's great. If you need to keep up with the schedule or you will feel bad or you will push through books to keep up with it, then I think you should spread it out more.

Tjej

I do have a rough idea what we'll be reading for history, but otherwise we wing it. I just wanted to mention that The Princess and the Goblin comes before The Princess and Curdie. :001_smile:

Also ALB - Are you using the abridged version of Pinocchio or are you going through the original? How is it going?

We just finished the original version of Pinocchio. I found a beautiful edition that has many full color pictures (and paid a pretty penny for it :tongue_smilie:). While this isn't carved in stone (AKA I could change my mind any time!), I think we're going to stay away from abridged versions until we're ready to read the originals. Exceptions will be Shakespeare and difficult works like Homer.

We just finished the original version of Pinocchio. I found a beautiful edition that has many full color pictures (and paid a pretty penny for it :tongue_smilie:). While this isn't carved in stone (AKA I could change my mind any time!), I think we're going to stay away from abridged versions until we're ready to read the originals. Exceptions will be Shakespeare and difficult works like Homer.

Will you share what Pinocchio edition you have? I am very interested...

You may already know this, but Geraldine McCaughrean hardcover editions of The Odyssey and Black Ships Before Troy are fabulous!

Will you share what Pinocchio edition you have? I am very interested...

You may already know this, but Geraldine McCaughrean hardcover editions of The Odyssey and Black Ships Before Troy are fabulous!

It's the Creative Editions version. I see that Amazon now has it cheaper than what I paid for it. It is a large book, but I liked it so much that I lugged it over here to Asia in my suitcase :tongue_smilie:.