Menu

old earth creation timeline?

MeganW

I'm having a hard time finding a resource that supports God creating the heavens & earth & life with science. IF YOU AGREE WITH THIS VIEW, do I have the days of creation fit in correctly??

Precambrian

- Proterozoic (Creation Days 1-4: God made the sun, earth, moon, stars, oceans, etc.)

Phanerozoic

- Paleozoic

----- Cambrian (Creation Day 5: God made mollusks, earliest vertebrates, fish, spiders, plants, amphibians, reptiles)

----- Ordovician

----- Silurian

----- Devonian

----- Carboniferous

------------ Mississippian

------------ Pennsylvanian

----- Permian

(mass extinction)

- Mesozoic

----- Triassic (Creation Day 5: God made dinosaurs, birds, furry animals, flowering plants)

----- Jurassic

----- Cretaceous

(dinosaurs go extinct)

- Cenozoic

----- Tertiary (Creation Day 6: God made mammals, primates, people)

------------ Paleogene

------------ Neogene

----- Quaternary

(Ice Ages begin)

Edited by MeganW

That's pretty interesting...I've never seen a timeline with it listed that way. I'm a fence sitter when it comes to young/old earth stuff. When I started homeschooling my DD there wasn't any young earth stuff. Fourteen years later my son was born, and suddenly there's a big broo-ha-ha that I never knew about. I'm behind the times when it comes to the creation/beginning of the world timelines. Heck, I'm still trying to figure out where dinosaurs fit into the whole thing.... *lol*

We are old earth and theistic evolutionists in our house. I personally would not try to match up the days to the periods. You obviously don't adhere to a strict literal interpretation of a dynamic translation of Genesis if you are OE so there's no reason you NEED to take it as a chronological reading either. It was quite common to group things by category instead of chronological and trying to order it that way when that's not what the Author intended may be confusing to kids. However, if you feel strongly that the Author intended a chronological reading for us Americans then I think your match up looks quite good.

We are old earth and theistic evolutionists in our house. I personally would not try to match up the days to the periods. You obviously don't adhere to a strict literal interpretation of a dynamic translation of Genesis if you are OE so there's no reason you NEED to take it as a chronological reading either. It was quite common to group things by category instead of chronological and trying to order it that way when that's not what the Author intended may be confusing to kids. However, if you feel strongly that the Author intended a chronological reading for us Americans then I think your match up looks quite good.

Honestly, it just wouldn't be that big a deal to me, but my kids are asking, and I am trying to figure out something that is reasonably accurate to tell them. "Were there dinosaurs in the Garden of Eden, Mommy?" ACK!!! Clearly no, but HOW would you explain this to kids? It's just something I never even thought about before this. I just assumed that science was proving the HOW, and the Bible was telling us about the WHO, and somehow all that fit together, even if humans hadn't figured out exactly how yet. But now my kids are asking questions that I just can't answer. What do I do????

Honestly, it just wouldn't be that big a deal to me, but my kids are asking, and I am trying to figure out something that is reasonably accurate to tell them. "Were there dinosaurs in the Garden of Eden, Mommy?" ACK!!! Clearly no, but HOW would you explain this to kids? It's just something I never even thought about before this. I just assumed that science was proving the HOW, and the Bible was telling us about the WHO, and somehow all that fit together, even if humans hadn't figured out exactly how yet. But now my kids are asking questions that I just can't answer. What do I do????

In that case, I think you've done a good job by grouping the first few days together since that's where the biggest chronology problems would come in. If they're asking about dinosaurs rather than the formation of other solar systems, they probably won't ask you to separate those first days out. GL!

- Mesozoic

----- Triassic (Creation Day 5: God made dinosaurs, birds, furry animals, flowering plants)

----- Jurassic

----- Cretaceous

(dinosaurs go extinct)

Minor error here: furry animals are mammals--day 6. Perhaps you were thinking of fish & water reptiles? However, I think that might overlap a bit with the previous section.

Minor error here: furry animals are mammals--day 6. Perhaps you were thinking of fish & water reptiles? However, I think that might overlap a bit with the previous section.

OK - THANK YOU!!! I'll take out "furry animals". Now that I think about it, I'm not exactly sure where I got that! :)

So should fish & reptiles be in Cambrian or Triassic? THANKS!!

Edited by MeganW

Since they're asking about dinosaurs this might be a good place to get into more detail on how dinosaurs and mammals coexisted and some basics of biological evolution, diversification, and the food chain. In kid friendly terms, you could say something about how the dinos kept the mammal population in check but once the dinos went extinct the mammals had free reign to diversify and become the dominant land animals. Perhaps tell them it was a mammalian explosion and let them think on that in literal terms for a moment before you explain.

You could just say you don't know the answer, and that's why people learn and study, to find out the answers to the things they don't know.

I tell my children we know that God created the world but we don't know exactly how, or when, or how long it took. Scientists try to study this issue and it is kind of like putting together a puzzle with most of the pieces missing--so they come up with ideas that seem to fit together with the pieces we have, but the only way to really learn about all the missing pieces would be through a time machine. Since we don't have such a machine, we keep studying and learning and trying to fit things together as best we can, and it's okay to not know all the answers. I think showing them your proposed timeline as one possibility of how it happened is just fine, with the understanding that some things we just don't know for sure. I actually think it is critical for children to come to understand that adults (including mom) don't have all the answers and that not knowing every answer is just fine. From a religious perspective, I want them to understand that God has revealed what we need to know in order to understand our relationship with him and our purpose on this earth, and if he hasn't filled in all the details it is because those details are not essential to know in order for us to live our lives well. He leaves lots of things for us to try to discover and puzzle out on our own if we want to.

--Sarah