Menu

Anybody using SL 5? How would you modify for younger student?

I'm going to be combining ds10 and ds12 in SL 5 this year. The older kiddo is 7th grade, on grade level in skills, reading at a high school level, and won't have any problem doing the curriculum as written.

The younder kiddo is going into 5th, below grade level in LA, reads about on grade level, and probably should be in 4th grade, but I don't have the heart to do that to him, so we forge on.

What have you done to modify the program for a younger sibling when combining? The Instructor Guide is backordered until the end of July, so I don't have a full picture of what our days will look like yet.

Are you working with a new or older core?

We won't be doing this core until 2013, but from everything I've read & gleamed it's not at all recommended to put a younger child in this core. Could you consider another core for him so that you aren't "putting him back" a grade, but giving him time to "catch up"?

There's also a Geography Core from WP, perhaps that would work for your younger student? Sorry, I'm not much help. You might need to refer to the core as F or 5/F as it's been renamed. ;)

I'm going to be combining ds10 and ds12 in SL 5 this year. The older kiddo is 7th grade, on grade level in skills, reading at a high school level, and won't have any problem doing the curriculum as written.

The younder kiddo is going into 5th, below grade level in LA, reads about on grade level, and probably should be in 4th grade, but I don't have the heart to do that to him, so we forge on.

What have you done to modify the program for a younger sibling when combining? The Instructor Guide is backordered until the end of July, so I don't have a full picture of what our days will look like yet.

I used this last year with two fifth graders. One on or above grade level and one below grade level (dyslexic). The program has had a major overhaul, so you may need to tweak it for your 7th grader. Not sure. Seems like it may be easier than last year. Again, not sure.

We did the history together. I read it out loud to both students. We did the EHE together. (The new IG won't have the EHE, but some kind of notebook thing.) You could have the 7th grader read to the 5th grader. Whatever works for you. My dyslexic student used different readers. I just picked things on her level and it didn't match the history. If I could find core F/5 readers on audio, I used that for her. I also got picture books from the library on the countries we were studying.

You could tweak writing assignments by requiring the 7th grader to write more and the 5th grader might just concentrate on writing a paragraph.

I think it's very doable. Unfortunately, you really won't know until you get the IG in your hands. I'm waiting on the core G IG!

Have a great year!

Are you working with a new or older core?

I just ordered the new core after a huge debate with myself about which would be better.

but from everything I've read & gleamed it's not at all recommended to put a younger child in this core.

Could you elaborate on why this is too tough for a younger child?

Thanks for your help!

I'm also concerned about it being light for the 7th grader. When I was planning and asked him what he wanted to study, here's his list:

*NOT American History again.

*World History with cultures by region instead of strictly chronological

*A main book for facts with lots of other books to read

This seemed to fill the bill for him. Plus, he has two great-grandfathers who were missionaries India and Burma and his grandfather was born in Calcutta, so he has connections to the topic.

I think I'm going to get the rest of the readers and read-alounds from the older curriculum and have him read those as well. I'm going to supplement the LA with Rod and Staff English and Essentials in Writing.

I hope it works out; I'm excited to try!

I'm using an older version of the core with a 5th grader and 8th grader. We just started this summer. I would suggest you preread the books as some of them were a little intense for my 5th grader so I set them aside. I'm having her use picture books and other readers.

My 8th grader is using the EHE and my 5th grader is doing projects and recipes from the countries. My 8th grader is studying The Hobbit and LLLOTR for literature.

HTH! So far, we all really enjoy learning about the Eastern Hemisphere! :)

I'm also concerned about it being light for the 7th grader. When I was planning and asked him what he wanted to study, here's his list:

*NOT American History again.

*World History with cultures by region instead of strictly chronological

*A main book for facts with lots of other books to read

This seemed to fill the bill for him. Plus, he has two great-grandfathers who were missionaries India and Burma and his grandfather was born in Calcutta, so he has connections to the topic.

I think I'm going to get the rest of the readers and read-alounds from the older curriculum and have him read those as well. I'm going to supplement the LA with Rod and Staff English and Essentials in Writing.

I hope it works out; I'm excited to try!

I think this core will be great for both of your children. We enjoyed learning about the different cultures. There are so many things that can be added to this core such as...trying new recipes, art projects, and documentaries. We watched several episodes of Bizarre Foods on Netflix. It's amazing what some people consider to be food. :D Once you get the IG in hand you'll be able to see what needs to be tweaked for each child. Enjoy your year!