Menu

Sonlight Science?

malleyfam

Core G is World History 1. But what history you do shouldn't matter what science you do....

I think it would depend what you have been doing up to now and what your long term plans are.

Is this for a 6th grade student? G is about 6th grade....what are you doing for 7th? Are you going into Apologia sequence? Or BJU? Or a secular resource? Most people have their science sequence planned out for high school and work backward. Being so close to high school sequence I would suggest having a plan for 7+ and then decide on 6th grade.

We have used SL science for 2 years now and like it. But it's spiral so I know some topics they will only have intro's to and some others more in depth. We are doing it again next year(level F). But I think after that we plan on doing a year of interest science before starting the normal college bound science sequence in 7th grade.

So I would start there. Where are you going next? Then figure out this year. Now, if it's a younger student doing Core G my answer would be different. But if the G science topics interest you then it's worth a try. I like the schedule. The TOPS experiment books are ok. Some are pretty in depth/lots of prep work, but the experiments usually work. There is no video supplement like earlier versions for the experiments.

hope this helps you start to figure it out :D

Oops! Can't believe I did that - we are doing Core D - American History.

My kids are in 5th, 4th and 2nd. We did Apologia Astronomy which was fun but we got sidetracked mid-year and didn't finish because I had a baby :001_smile:. Just wondering if I should start Apologia Swimming Creatures or if the Sonlight Science will be enough. I'm a bit of a curriculum junkie, so I have a tendency to order too much.

Thanks for your response!

Core G is World History 1. But what history you do shouldn't matter what science you do....

I think it would depend what you have been doing up to now and what your long term plans are.

Is this for a 6th grade student? G is about 6th grade....what are you doing for 7th? Are you going into Apologia sequence? Or BJU? Or a secular resource? Most people have their science sequence planned out for high school and work backward. Being so close to high school sequence I would suggest having a plan for 7+ and then decide on 6th grade.

We have used SL science for 2 years now and like it. But it's spiral so I know some topics they will only have intro's to and some others more in depth. We are doing it again next year(level F). But I think after that we plan on doing a year of interest science before starting the normal college bound science sequence in 7th grade.

So I would start there. Where are you going next? Then figure out this year. Now, if it's a younger student doing Core G my answer would be different. But if the G science topics interest you then it's worth a try. I like the schedule. The TOPS experiment books are ok. Some are pretty in depth/lots of prep work, but the experiments usually work. There is no video supplement like earlier versions for the experiments.

hope this helps you start to figure it out :D

We really disliked Science 4. It used TOPS Electricity and Magnetism and then a slew of other uncoordinated subjects that didn't seem cohesive at all. It felt like we were jumping all over the place and the TOPs experiments were tedious. We have never used SL for science again.

Oops! Can't believe I did that - we are doing Core D - American History.

My kids are in 5th, 4th and 2nd. We did Apologia Astronomy which was fun but we got sidetracked mid-year and didn't finish because I had a baby :001_smile:. Just wondering if I should start Apologia Swimming Creatures or if the Sonlight Science will be enough. I'm a bit of a curriculum junkie, so I have a tendency to order too much.

Thanks for your response!

That was our first SL science year. They liked it! The Tops is plants that year. It's tedious but worth it. You have to commit the 30 days for radishes but we loved it! It took some time to get it all prepped. But yes for ages it would be good

Sorry, I'm pretty new to homeschooling - what do you mean when you say it's "spiral?"

As Tess said, SL science is spiral--but it is fun, very engaging, and pretty easy to get done.

I think it would be great for your ages. :001_smile:

We did Science D last year. It is a very good complete course. The TOPS books along with Real Science 4 Kids Biology was really good. I was not thrilled with the Water book though. The thing is though that my dd loves science so we also did Apologia Swimming Creatures through our co-op. I did Sonlight 3 days and then Apologia one day a week. It worked out well for us because dd loves science.

That's too funny! It's exactly what I was thinking about doing (although we would do it ourselves and not with a co-op). I was wondering about the Water book - it is one of the books I don't already have and wondered if I needed to buy it through Sonlight. Great feedback! Thanks! :001_smile:

We did Science D last year. It is a very good complete course. The TOPS books along with Real Science 4 Kids Biology was really good. I was not thrilled with the Water book though. The thing is though that my dd loves science so we also did Apologia Swimming Creatures through our co-op. I did Sonlight 3 days and then Apologia one day a week. It worked out well for us because dd loves science.

We are half-way through Core D Science. My kids have loved it so far. The TOPS kits have been a big hit, though it was hard to get in the habit of doing them every day. I definitely feel like it is enough. Mine are 11 and 9, btw. I think I got the Water book from SL b/c I had trouble finding it on Amazon. Mostly though, I get the books from Rainbow Resource b/c they are so much cheaper.

Thank you! Yes, I have kids that are 11, 9 and 7 so we're in the same age ranges. I have to admit that consistency isn't my strongest suit, but I'm trying to get better! I did think my kids would like the TOPS kits as they seem to be quite hands-on.

We are half-way through Core D Science. My kids have loved it so far. The TOPS kits have been a big hit, though it was hard to get in the habit of doing them every day. I definitely feel like it is enough. Mine are 11 and 9, btw. I think I got the Water book from SL b/c I had trouble finding it on Amazon. Mostly though, I get the books from Rainbow Resource b/c they are so much cheaper.

I've only done one year of sonlight science (core A). It was easy to do. My kids were always wanting to read more and do more - they loved it. I found it simple to fit into our weeks, and the materials we needed were almost all just around the house.

• 2 weeks later...