Menu

LOF & Multiplication

fiddle

That's a hard question because LOF has such an odd scope and sequence. :tongue_smilie: I have all the elementary books, but I haven't used all of them with any kids yet. The first place I see multiplication is in Farming. The 2x facts are taught in ch 16 as something the children will already know from their addition facts.

I just saw a division problem in Edgewood, but I think it was an introduction in the text and not a problem that the student was expected to do (the author was showing 3 or 4 different ways of expressing what a half dozen means).

That's a hard question because LOF has such an odd scope and sequence. :tongue_smilie: I have all the elementary books, but I haven't used all of them with any kids yet. The first place I see multiplication is in Farming. The 2x facts are taught in ch 16 as something the children will already know from their addition facts.

I just saw a division problem in Edgewood, but I think it was an introduction in the text and not a problem that the student was expected to do (the author was showing 3 or 4 different ways of expressing what a half dozen means).

Comes up quick! We're just finishing up Apples here. I'm pretty sure we'll get through Butterflies and Cats at least before we're done for the year (first grade).

I remember not learning multiplication tables until I was in 5th grade. Our teacher had us writing them over and over again. I actually have fond memories of that and it sure did stick!

Yes, LOF does have a totally different scheme. We're half way through Apples as a supplement, but my dd is going into 4th grade (she's dyslexic) but not totally mastered subtraction/addition yet-and I am doing LOF as a supplement. She's loving it and moving quickly, so just wanted to get an idea and goals for us this summer :)

Thanks! THis helps a bunch:)

Paula

When I talked to the author about this very issue, he said if my dc don't have a good grasp on multiplication, they should start with Farming and work through the rest. We actually went ahead and started at the very beginning and my dc are loving it. My 9 yo ds wants to continue with TT but 11 yo dd wants to do LoF. I told her we would supplement with khanacademy to make sure she is getting it and she agreed :)

Yep, Farming, Goldfish, and Honey is where you do multiplication. By the end of Honey you are to have all your tables memorized (he has you make flashcards and practice them daily till you get them down during Honey).

I did the whole elementary series with my 4th grader last year. It was fantastic, she loved it. With my rising first grader, we'll move much more slowly - she's finished Apples, but I can see she gets a lot less of the conceptual parts than her sister did, reading it in 4th. So if you have a kid moving "too fast" through the elementaries, remember you have the option of repeating - either going through the whole series, then starting over, or going through A-E, then doing them again before starting F. I garuntee it will not be wasted time - they will get a lot more out of it when they are a little older and know more math concepts.