Menu

Got an Official Diagnosis Today

I had my DD(7) undergo neuropsych testing and just got the results today. She was diagnosed with PDD-NOS, ADHD combined type, Childhood Anxiety Disorder, Cognitive Disorder with working memory diffficulties and Expressive Language Disorder. I knew this was coming but it was hard to see it in a report. I am a little overwhelmed to say the least. The neuropsych recommends continued ST, OT, PT and counseling and wants her to get ABA. She also wants DD to take Vyvanse and Kapvay. Does anyone have any info on these two medications? DH is against meds so I need to give him the right info so he will see that she will only be helped by taking them. DD was adopted from China at 14 months and was severely developmentally delayed. She is catching up but at her own pace and is more like a 5 year old now and ready for kindergarten level work. The doctor stressed that she is of normal intelligence and will catch up with therapy and hard work.

Susie

Dallas(7)

Jiangxi, China

:grouphug: It is such a huge bag of mixed feelings isn't it? On one hand you're happy to finally know what is going on so you can start working on it. On the second hand, your child now has a diagnosis. Over the years, I've had my ups and downs with my son who has Aspergers. Currently, I'm in a not-so-great state. I've shed a few tears lately and just find myself wishing he didn't have these problems. But other times I don't feel like I could ever change him because he's such a super fantastic guy. He's just a super fantastic guy with some issues. And who of us doesn't have some kind of issues, eh? :tongue_smilie: Okay, not quite the same thing, but that thinking does help me sometimes.

We will get complete results from dd4's testing in a few weeks. I *think* I know what her diagnosis will be, but part of me dreads it anyway. I can imagine how you must feel. Also, we adopted her from China at the age of 21 months & she was very, very far behind developmentally, to put it mildly. She is currently on the level of a "typical" 18 to 24 month old.

It is encouraging to hear that the doctor believes your daughter will catch up with therapy and hard work. Hold on to that on the hard days.:)

:grouphug: My 9 year old was dx'ed when he was 5 with pdd-nos, ocd/anxiety and spd.

I *knew* for a couple years, but honestly when it was *official* I cried for days too. It's a strange mixed-bag of feelings. I sometimes don't think other people (in my life anyway) really understand how hard we parents can take it.

OT and speech has been great for my ds. He's done with speech and still has OT but we expect we may end that soon. We had teh advice to try Zoloft when he was 5 and I was real adamant against it. We started a low 25 mg dose this year and the results have been pretty night and day. It's really opened him up. When he was younger it was a lot of sensory things that we needed to get under control. Now giving him a sensory diet is like second nature to me. It was his ocd/anxiety that became the real bogie as he got older. I'm glad we decided to use meds. And I have always been very anti-meds.

We get a full neuro-psych eval soon (waiting list) and I'm anxious and excited to see how time and therapy and work has changed things for him.

It does get easier. He had a haircut yesterday and he was almost bored with it and didn't make a peep. Looked the girl in the eye and said "thanks." Even last year would have had him crying loudly, possibly throwing up or getting faint. When he was smaller it would have been complete meltdown.

It takes more work to do the things sometimes taken for granted....but worth it when you see how hard they try and succeed.