Menu

Question for all you hard core Classical Education mamas who teach the TRIVIUM!!!

mommynluv

If you are teaching by the trivium, what do you do with your kids in the grammer stage as it compares to Classical Conversations?

I'm wanting to implement memory work, but just needing to get a clear picture of what that looks like at home and getting my hands on the facts they are suppose to have memorized over the next few years.

Thanks!!

There have been a couple of good threads on this topic lately - check them out and see if there's anything in them you find useful.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37499

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39196

Glad you found the one at lulu on the second thread! I have it on my computer from when she was emailing them out on the old boards. When I saw this thread I was thinking, "Gee, I've got this great resource but it's not MINE to give out!" So I'm very glad it's public. I've really enjoyed using it this last year with my younger dc!

Great info at those two links kls126s. I've been searching for memory work sources myself. I wish we had done more memory work with my oldest (it always seemed like there would be more time later!) and I want to make sure he and his siblings don't miss out because of my lack of organization. I scribbled down a list from WTM and have been trying to decide which long passages of scripture to work on. It's really nice to have Hannah's e-book all ready to use! Thanks!

I think it is first helpful to determine what areas you will memorize in. For us, that would be:

Math

Poetry

Religion

History

Science

English

Latin and Greek

I like to work from master lists for things like literature and memory work, so that I am not spending a lot of time each year re-making lists. Here are some examples of the ways I have worked in one of these areas:

Math - I use the standards at MathematicallyCorrect.com as a scope for our math plans, so I just follow those for memory, too. A Beka sells "Concept Cards" for arithmetic. They include things like equivalencies in measurement, Roman numerals, terms, etc. I think they are a really great resource. The standard flashcards (find the good ones that go up through 12 and have the correct problem on the back) are always helpful, too. We also use software (Quartermile Math, etc.) and worksheets.

We do a lot of writing for our memory work once they are in about second grade or so. We go over it out loud and they write it down frequently. I like to get it in the brain more than one way.

I think the key thing is just to understand that it takes consistency. A little bit every day over years can achieve amazing results.