Menu

Feeling the need to add to WWE...am I crazy?

Ok, I will begin with saying that I have always struggled with writing, and always second guess whatever I choose to teach writing to my kids. We have used some of this and some of that for the last several years and landed with WWE/WWS this last year and a half. I need someone to either encourage me to stick with it and know that my kids will come out ok, or help me see what is lacking. Here is what we have done this last year:

dd16 (natural writer, little structural instruction, will be 11th grade) used WWS and a few MFW WHL writing assignments

dd14 (very reluctant writer, little structural instruction, will be 10th grade) used WWS (finishing up over the summer/fall) and a few MFW AHL assignments

ds12 (very reluctant writer, little structural instruction, will be 7th grade) used WWE4

dd9 (no writing instuction other than WWE, will be 4th grade) used WWE2

dd5 (learning to read...writing letters & short words as learned, loves to write anything is she can get someone to sit and spell it for her while she writes...will be K/1st grade) looking to start her out right

So, my concern is that dd9 (and really ds12) don't do much writing other than WWE (looking to move ds12 into WWS this next year, maybe). So, is this enough? 'Cause in the back of my mind, I keep thinking that they should be doing more (paragraphs, stories, outlines etc.). I have had this same battle over and over again in my head, and just cannot decide whether to just stick with WWE or add something to it...and if I need to add to it, then what?:confused: I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice you can offer. I'm really feeling lost when it comes to writing and I don't want to let my dc down.

Although I haven't used it, I've been really impressed with the WWS samples. If ds12 is capable of writing narrations on his own, I think WWS would be a good fit.

WWE3 is a good progression from WWE2. The difficulty ramps up between the levels. This past year, DS9 used the level 3 in the WWE Instructor's Guide plus I also required a few independent papers where he researched a topic, took notes, wrote a rough draft, made revisions, and wrote a final copy. All other writing went on hold while he worked on his papers. I sat with him through the entire process, giving guidance for his note taking and writing. I did not have pre-determined topics; he was allowed to pick his subjects which kept the project interesting for him.

For dd6, I required daily writing using sentences from her readers. Initially it was tracing sentences like "Mat sat." As the year progressed, I gradually added in copywork until she was doing all copywork by the end of the year. I still used sentences from her readers but she was able to copy "The wind blew and Drew's glasses flew" and "'Look at the claws,' said Dawn." Using a variety of sentences, I was able to gently introduce her to a variety of grammar concepts, like possesives and dialogue. She would then draw a picture of the sentence, which helped to reinforce the reading lesson.

We used WWE for several years but stopped b/c the kids really couldn't stand it. Even while using it though, we would still do writing for other subjects-usually a history or science paper each week.

This year my two olders (11 and 9) are going to be using MCT Town level and I am reading through The Writer's Jungle to get more ideas to supplement with. I like the suggestion in TWJ to have the kids do just one research paper per month- so I am considering switching to that approach instead of the weekly papers.

I think WWS looks great too though, and plan to use it with dd11 next year.

I am in the same boat. Planning the writing & grammar next year is STRESSING me out. Too many choices, too many voices in my head telling me that they should be doing more, and then the other ones telling me they are fine where they are. So frustrating. I've pretty much given up and decided to outsource this part of our curriculum for DD8 & DS11 but now I can't even make up my mind about which provider to go with. I am a mess over this. I can manage every other subject but writing just messes with my head every.single.year. Arrrghhhh.

Sorry - that was totally not helpful.

I am in the camp which thinks that more writing at younger ages is better. Here are a couple of good options if you want to add something.

IEW is a fantastic program. It goes well with WWE in my experience.

WWW (Winning With Writing) is another choice. I would recommend starting at level 3 (which teaches paragraph writing and other types of writing) or a higher level. It is not as effective as IEW in my experience, but still a good quality writing program. It is also very easy to implement. You could fairly easily do WWE and WWW together over the school year.

I am in the same boat. Planning the writing & grammar next year is STRESSING me out. Too many choices, too many voices in my head telling me that they should be doing more, and then the other ones telling me they are fine where they are. So frustrating. I've pretty much given up and decided to outsource this part of our curriculum for DD8 & DS11 but now I can't even make up my mind about which provider to go with. I am a mess over this. I can manage every other subject but writing just messes with my head every.single.year. Arrrghhhh.

Sorry - that was totally not helpful.

Oh you have no idea how much this helps! You may not have a suggestion to offer, but it really is nice to know I am not the only one out there struggling with writing! Thanks so much for sharing...I hope you are able to figure out something to work for you dc.

I would recommend putting the older 4 through a year of IEW. In this thread you'll find my post explaining my opinion on using WWE/ WWS in addition to IEW.

I have been toying with this idea for awhile. We (my older 3) tried IEW a couple years ago and liked it, but I can't remember why we didn't continue with it. So, is there a way to combine different ages with one level or will I have to get several different levels? I would really like to be able to work this into our budget, but I think it's going to be tricky. Any advice you have as to a starting point would be greatly appreciated.

Meaningful Composition

Understanding Writing

Write with the Best

Writing Tales

Essential in Writing

IEW

Classical Writing

Write Shop

Scholastic books

Writing Prompts

and more.....

All of these you can use to supplement with WWE if need be.

Choose something that works for you and your finances.

IEW is not the end all be all and it is expensive for some. For me I just can't learn from a video for some reason. I watch the IEW video and fall asleep. I have heard Andrew Pudewa speak in person and I was able to learn the method live and being able to interact in a workshop environment. That is the way I learn best but had I to learn through a video --forget it!

I am interested in your point of view of putting your kids through a year of IEW. Tell me more. I like that idea.

What year do you think it would be great to possibly put WWE on hold to do IEW? I would think it would be best to be sure your child knows what on earth an adverb is right so around FLL3-FLL4 or WWE3 and WW4?

WWE2-WWE3

WWE3-WW4

or after WWE4 before WWS?

When you say IEW...are you meaning an intensive of some sort or just the general IEW implementation?

I am interested in your point of view of putting your kids through a year of IEW. Tell me more. I like that idea.

What year do you think it would be great to possibly put WWE on hold to do IEW? I would think it would be best to be sure your child knows what on earth an adverb is right so around FLL3-FLL4 or WWE3 and WW4?

WWE2-WWE3

WWE3-WW4

or after WWE4 before WWS?

When you say IEW...are you meaning an intensive of some sort or just the general IEW implementation?

So sorry I missed this. I've been in the depths of planning!

I think once your dc have a basic overview of the parts of speech you would have no problem dealing with the dress-ups in IEW. I've not used FLL but I would say that anywhere between FLL3-FLL4 would be fine. My 4th only went through Grammar-Land before starting IEW and we haven't had any issues as of yet. Keep in mind that any grammar you come across in IEW that is unfamiliar can be gone over at the time.

I also think that anytime after WWE2 would be fine for starting IEW. I wouldn't start one of the SWIs with a dc under 3rd grade, and for many dc 4th grade would be better. However, you can do key-word outlines and rewriting in your own words verbally, or with you acting as a scribe, with younger students, even 1st and 2nd grade.

My ideal schedule would look like this:

1st grade: WWE1 along with verbally creating key-word outlines and reconstructing those outlines into short little paragraphs in their own words(don't stress if they repeat almost verbatim though). No dress-ups. You can use any source for these outlines. The little 3 to 5 sentence paragraphs in many science and history encyclopedias are perfect for this.

2nd grade: WWE2 along with the verbal exercises described above. Again, any source would work for this, but you could look for longer models to use, 5-10 sentences.

3rd grade: WWE3 along with key-word outlines and rewrites but now have your student do the writing themselves (if they are physically capable). Adjust length of models to your students ability. Encourage them to use as many different words from the model as possible. Play around with making lists of similes and then picking the one that works best in the sentence.

4th grade: at this point I think you could go two ways. Start IEW SWI A and plan to work through it in one year as your main composition program, and continue copywork, narration and dictation WWE style (not using the actual WWE4 book, just the method) as a supplement across the curricula. Or continue WWE4 as your main composition program and use IEW methods learned through watching the TWSS to create your own assignments across the curricula. I lean toward the first scenario.

In 5th you would then, depending on which scenario you chose in 4th, continue with a Continuation Course to really cement all of the skills learned in the SWI, OR if you feel they are pretty solid with those skills, start with WWS. If you chose to continue with WWE4 as your main program in 4th you could then start SWI-A this year, and then move onto WWS in 6th.

In either scenario you can then start having your student use what they've (and you've) learned from IEW in their WWS writing and across the curricula if you continue to assign additional writing in those subjects.

I think WWE\WWS is wonderful and a valuable tool in developing composition skills, but I don't feel that it is enough on it's own for my family.

I hope that helps explain my vision. :D

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

Sorry,it took me awhile to find this again. Getting on the computer has been difficult since my 3yro water gunned my laptop and now only a few keys work and i have to use the onscreen keyboard. Ugh! I have used another keyboard but then have to reach up and over for the laptop for the mouse. What a nightmare. I like your plan, Aimee....I think I might go SWI-A with my fifth graders.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered using Writeshop Primary and Writeshop Jnr. as a supplement to WWE? It is designed for parents who lack confidance in teaching writing. Their website writeshop.com contains samples, and is worth checking out.

We use both, my dd tears up at the mention of writing and I felt clueless as how to guide her as writing is not my strength. WWE helps me to evaluate her reading comprehension and assess her ability to articulate in words and in writing her comprehension process.

Writeshop helps her to see how simple the mechanics of writing is. It teaches her how to improve the sentences that she writes. The samples explains it way better than I can. The older children may want to consider Writeshop I & II.

Good luck :)