Menu

What is your experience with Beautiful Feet?

Nancy Ann

I am thinking of switching from Sonlight to Beautiful Feet. I am wondering what you thought of Beautiful Feet if you have used it. Many of the literature packs say you can do it just 3 days a week. However, when I look at samples some of the lessons seem like they would take longer than just one day.

I am just wondering about how much time this curriculum will take on a daily and weekly basis.

I had their Early American History for Elementary a few years ago and sold it. We didn't use much of it... and my intent was only to integrate it into our history studies, as it was only history and not a full program like Sonlight. That was before I knew what the term "Providential History" meant. :glare:

I am a bit leery of that book as well. Sonlight introduced a couple providential books with their Core D and Core E this year and I read them and was not happy. They were pretty extreme in my opinion. They were books by Peter Marshall.

However, all the other book suggestions for the other literature packs look fantastic!

I am switching this year from Sonlight to Truthquest. I considered Beautiful Feet but realized that after reading SO many books each year with Sonlight, we were not going to be happy with the smaller number of books BF used. We obviously could have added on, but TQ just seemed to fit the bill for us.

I am a bit leery of that book as well. Sonlight introduced a couple providential books with their Core D and Core E this year and I read them and was not happy. They were pretty extreme in my opinion. They were books by Peter Marshall.

However, all the other book suggestions for the other literature packs look fantastic!

Which is funny, because wasn't it in CO that they weren't allowed at the HS convention because of the secular content of their books?? Poor company can't win :(

Which is funny, because wasn't it in CO that they weren't allowed at the HS convention because of the secular content of their books?? Poor company can't win :(

Yep,

I do just want to say that these three books that are in Core D and E are not my cup of tea, but they are also not Sonlight's cup of tea either. Their curriculum in general is not this providential. So, for people concerned that the rest of the curriculum will have this same slant...no need to worry. Sonlight is great and their books are great!!! Just too many for us!! I think I also like that Beautiful Feet will have us just read one book at a time and not flip through many. I think it will work better if we have one history book we are focusing on and not be reading a page or so from a couple different kinds.

Edited by Nancy Ann

I am switching this year from Sonlight to Truthquest. I considered Beautiful Feet but realized that after reading SO many books each year with Sonlight, we were not going to be happy with the smaller number of books BF used. We obviously could have added on, but TQ just seemed to fit the bill for us.

We did TQ and it's really great. For us it didn't work out because it was too many to choose from and was overwhelming. I also couldn't always get the the library and we also went through the manual too slow. I guess I got a little too impatient!!:001_smile: But, I think it's a terrific approach to history and I know works very well for many families. I have a homeschool friend that has used it for about 3 years now and it's worked well. The only trouble she has had is when life got a bit hectic she just didn't have time to get to the library and get some books, so they went without reading history for some time. This is why I like Sonlight or Beautiful Feet, I like having it planned out for me and on my shelf.

Yep,

I do just want to say that these three books that are in Core D and E are not my cup of tea, but they are also not Sonlight's cup of tea either. Their curriculum in general is not this providential. So, for people concerned that the rest of the curriculum will have this same slant...no need to worry. Sonlight is great and their books are great!!! Just too many for us!! I think I also like that Beautiful Feet will have us just read one book at a time and not flip through many. I think it will work better if we have one history book we are focusing on and not be reading a page or so from a couple different kinds.

This is where I ended up tweaking. I didn't like reading a few pages here and there from several books either, so we usually read everything from the "spine" and then went back and did the read-alouds. I still very much appreciated having all of the correlating readings laid out for me.

As for TQ, I so far have been able to pretty quickly weed out what we will not be using, whether due to availability, price or use not wanting to read a particular book. We will be moving back to Alaska soon, where the library system is kind of so-so, so I am going to make sure I have all of the "don't misses" and anything else I absolutely "have" to have. We will see what we can find at the library after that. I got to the point with Sonlight that I wasn't going to purchase all of the readers/read-alouds from them anyway; it is just so much less expensive to purchase from other mamas, library sales etc. So I guess I am doing with TQ what I was going to be doing with SL if I continued using it! I do have to credit SL with giving me the confidence to go out and plan our own school year.

I hope you enjoy BF. If we ever have a year in which I don't think we will be able to accomplish as much reading, I will most likely try BF.