Menu

Are there any writing courses that would be suitable in this situation?

DD is very strong in grammar and placed very well on her first run of the ACT. She did the writing portion and even though she enjoys writing and has a strong grammar foundation...she didn't do so well on writing. I think she'll still be above average compared to the college freshman, but I'm wondering if there is any course she can take in writing during this last year even though she has never used any homeschool writing curriculum. (We didn't start hsing until her 9th grade.) Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

The ACT essay topics are inane. Because of that, I don't think it really measures writing ability that well. Many of the topics are geared to public school culture. The main problem ds had was thinking of actual data bits to put in the essay because the topics were...uh..less than meaty. Imo, it actually requires an ability more akin to someone who can keep up a running conversation at a cocktail party than to producing good writing. Ds is actually an excellent writer given good material, but struggled with the essay.

So there are really two questions: what is a good writing course? and How do you improve an ACT writing score? The two may have different answers. I think that for the latter, Format Writing by Jensen uses a format that seems to cover what the ACT folks are after---only I'd put the thesis in the first paragraph, though Jensen recommends against that. (I don't actually think Format Writing is a great writing course, just that it overlaps pretty well with the ACT objectives.) Additionally, I'd give your student a timed essay (however long the ACT one is ) on some lame topic every week. You can do a google search for them.

And Laurie is so correct that I did throw in two different angles! And I guess, truthfully, I am more concerned about her being able to actually write well in college than improving her act scores - although that would be nice as well. So writing currculum to be able to write good research papers, essays, etc. would be more of our need but I do intend to read the links (I already started) to learn more about the ACT scores as well. I just didn't know if any of the curriculums could actually be "just" started in 12th grade without years of doing the younger curriculum. THank you!

I went to a homeschool convention workshop led by a woman who graded SAT essays. I would think her hints would be similar for the ACT. All of these essays are persuasive essays. She suggested that the student come to the test with ideas to use in the essays. Students can use for evidence quotes from books, poetry, etc. that they have recently read in their school work. Secondly they can use examples of people's lives or characters in books or stories. Thirdly they can use personal experiences for evidence. These scorers are looking for the typical five paragraph essay. The student needs to read the question quickly, and he needs to come up with a thesis statement. Having quotes, characters, and personal experiences in your mental toolbox will help to pull the essay together quickly. These graders are also looking for a "high" vocabulary, so students need to practice those vocabulary words at home on practice essays. I would have your dc practice at home using writing prompts. You can find many through a GOOGLE search. I also have a book called something like "501 Writing Prompts" or something like that. Do a search at Amazon.com with "writing prompts" in the search engine. To be honest, I don't think these tests really determine if your dc is a great writer or not. Some folks write beatifully, but not under a timed situation. It is really a game, and your dc has to practice to be able to "win" at it.

FWIW,

Jan P.

to try writeathome.com this year. I spoke at length with one of the tutors and I think it will really help my incoming freshman this year. She sounds a lot like your daughter. You may want to check it out. It's a bit pricey, but it lays a solid foundation and since writing is fundamental for all tests, you really need a good foundation. They give you a tutor at the beginning of the year and she stays with you all year through the entire course.