Menu

12 grade English ideas needed

That should read 12th grade.

This dc has been homeschooled with the classical approach since elementary school. In high school he has done online seminars with The Great Books program, which is excellent, and for other years he did Seton's English 10 and one of their literature courses, also outstanding. This child does not love the classics or reading, but he is bright and can appreciate those things. He will either be majoring in music or a science in college, so I think it is better that he accliminate more to a traditional approach to education.

For that reason, and his less than enthusiastic acceptance of the Great Books, I don't think we should go with another online socratic seminar. Seton would fit the bill, but he is wanting to try something different. He has already studied ancient, world and American literature. I was thinking about Lightning Lit, but having done the 7th and 8th with other children I'm not convinced it's comprehensive enough for an entire English course.

Any ideas for a class to round off his last year? I don't want to pull something together myself as I'm doing that for all of the younger ones and this child does better with formal lesson plans.

I've found some World Lit. class syllabi online and will use 1-2 of the Norton Anthology of World Literature volumes as the spine, so to speak.

We are most likely going to do some kind of World History and so I'll be tying literature into that and hope to have ds write position papers, essays and discuss the literature in relation to the culture we're covering. Something like that. lol

It will not cover much, if any, ancient cultures/writings, though. We're kinda pooped out on that. :D

My other thought is to do 20th century History (plus economics) and do a 20th century Literature course alongside that.