Menu

"Less is more" first grade suggestions from those who have been at it for a while

Tiramisu

This is will be our sixth year hsing. My last of four is 6 and will be in first. She doesn't like to work. She's a great reader but will only read real books. She loves read alouds of all types, especially non-fiction. She won't do handwriting but she likes to write notes, lists, and texts me and grandma for fun. She seems to have a good grasp of letter formation and phonics--since she spells well. For K, we did ETC--she's in book 5--and CLE math--up to LU107. For someone who isn't fond of traditional schooling she seems as on top of things as my others were, and they are good students despite having issues that get in the way of schooling, like SPD and CAPD. As I plan for next year, I'm wondering what to add to her schedule. Any thoughts from experienced moms who have BTDT with less?

Thanks. :)

Sounds like she's doing just fine. :-)

You might reconsider saying that she "doesn't like to work," if by "work" you mean "having to fill out workbook pages or do other stuff just because I think she should." Very smart children often refuse to do stuff like workbooks. They're more interested in *learning*, and doing Official School Stuff doesn't address their need to *learn.*

My vote would be to let her read all the real books she wants, read aloud to her as much as your time allows, and let her hang out with the olders while they work, because she'll learn an amazing amount of information by doing that.

I am all for the less is more theory! My kids are doing most of their school work together and ds6 will do her own work in McRuffy math, All About Spelling level 3, and Primary Art of Language writing. She also has a list of her own books to read that she helped me compile and she will just read through those one at a time through the year. Everything else, she just follows along with her big brother:)

Sounds like she's doing just fine. :-)

You might reconsider saying that she "doesn't like to work," if by "work" you mean "having to fill out workbook pages or do other stuff just because I think she should." Very smart children often refuse to do stuff like workbooks. They're more interested in *learning*, and doing Official School Stuff doesn't address their need to *learn.*

My vote would be to let her read all the real books she wants, read aloud to her as much as your time allows, and let her hang out with the olders while they work, because she'll learn an amazing amount of information by doing that.

:iagree: Especially that last part. Let her read all the real books she wants, continue with her phonics and math stuff, and maybe just maybe do a unit here or there based on interest in a history or science theme. Might she enjoy lapbooks? Or not!

A thought about "real books" - finding a list of books based on a historical or science theme should be easy to do. If you have an idea of what you want her to study as far as either of those topics goes, just be sure those types of books are around. I'd love a voracious reader!!

Also, just a thought, and I've only had boys this age so far but, what about a scouting program of some sort? We've found those programs invaluable for fun, activities, skills, interaction, and simply for finding a favorite interest. :) Even just a book for a guide, without a group program, if you'd prefer. Again I only have boys but what about something like The Daring Book for Girls?

A thought about "real books" - finding a list of books based on a historical or science theme should be easy to do. If you have an idea of what you want her to study as far as either of those topics goes, just be sure those types of books are around. I'd love a voracious reader!!

:iagree: I would probably add science and history, but continue with the reading books about it rather than necessarily a curriculum.

Sounds a bit like my dd. Dd loves to draw and write. She never took to a writing program but her handwriting is nice and legible so I let it go. For first grade I tried to get through phonics and math every day, but that didn't always work out. We used Abeka for those and the extraneous colorful pictures distracted her. A lot. In spite of the distraction she reads well and is progressing in math. We did read-alouds every day. We also went to the library every week where she loaded up our book back with at least a dozen non-fiction books on animals which she'd sit and read (or just look at depending on the text) on her own. She loves animals. I tried to do geography with her but that didn't go very well. Instead we ended up watching a series of videos called Families of the World. These are great for introducing different cultures and it's only 30 mins.

After struggling through first grade this past year I am realizing dd is a much different learner than my ds's and I will need to do things differently to keep her engaged in learning. I hope I'm up to that challenge! :001_smile:

My thought was not to add spelling until we finish ETC. And I don't think there's much use to grammar in first grade, based on experience with my others.

I like the idea of WWE because that is exposure to patterns good language--in other words grammar without grammar--, basic punctuation and mechanics, as well as strengthening memory.

She does a lot of science reading and listens to Bible stories. She loved when I would play the SOTW CD in the car so that might be something for her, along with the activity book.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and for the help in getting me thinking.