Menu

Does anyone use and like Writing Strands?

Magic Wand

It's interesting to me that SWB highly recommends Writing Strands and so many of us don't use or care for it.

I tried Writing Strands 3 long ago, and we really didn't like it. I'm still trying to figure out writing for next year with my rising 4th and 6th graders.

I've gone back to the WTM Curricula Review and re-read what's there. I thought we wanted to sign up for an online writing class, but I'm not sure we need or want that committment.

I'm thinking about WA for my younger, my older did most of it and she really liked it, and Wordsmith for the older. Maybe we'll just keep following SWB's recs using Wordsmith and Writing Strands.

I also thought about IEW, but I remember watching Mr. Pudewa, whom I respect, on the DVD lesson and my dh asked me if I could watch it somewhere else...it was a bit dry.

We've got a busy year coming up and I don't want something with a huge teacher learning curve...

We're already using R&S grammar, so we're getting writing instruction and I've figured out how to increase the practice there; we just need a little more "oomph" to round out our program.

Okay...I think I've sold myself on WA and Wordsmith...still curious about your opinions on the levels beyond Writing Strands 3.

W

We use Writing Strands...but not as a writing program...more like a crash course in how to notice details and use them to influence people! Basically I have the kids focus on:

1. How to follow directions and importance/effects of finite details.

2. How to organize information and how miscommunication happens.

3. How writing is a skill with component parts and different applications.

4. That understanding the mechanism of writing frees one to write creatively.

5. That report writing is different from creative writing and both skills are necessary for literary analysis. Which in this house is where the fun begins.

I think of Writing Strands more as a primer in understanding the invisible hand behind the printed word, and how to best develop your own "ghost writer" abilities when using the written word.

The kids explore creative writing and literary analysis in a far more organic environment, with the aid of their writer/director godparents. I also find that being exposed to/involved in the theatre really helps them understand how to use dialogue and setting to convey moods, meaning and characterization. Furthermore, our house is a living petri dish of their active transference of these skills in their creative written work, book analysis and constant dissection of marketing and advertisements! So in short, that's how Writing Strands is utilized around here.

Well...I think so many of us forget to look at the big picture when it come to WS.

We used Level 3 our first year hsing and although I personally didn't care for it (I need somthing with more structure like a 5 paragaraph format) dd did great with it. And the most important thing...it got done. When we were finished with 3, I switched to Write Source because that's what I was more comfortable with and plus, starting in level 3, I didn't think WS was enough for Jr. High. Dd did it okay, but Write Source wasn't really for her.

After going back to WTM and reading what SWB had to say about WS and going over all of the WS levels, I decided it was a good program for dd and that it would prepare her for hs if we just stick with it. So half way through the year, I switched back to WS. After I looked at all the levels again, I kept thinking, "This is great, why did we stop using it?" DD is more of an abstract thinker which I think WS is great for, not to mention I like how it combines literary elements with the writing making the study of both more holistic. Also, dd can do WS independently with me just looking over her work and offering evaluations.

We do RS a year behind, and I have DD do many of those writing assignments. I regard them as bare bones writing. They give her experience with defination-related genres, and they are so dry and simplified that they are very clear.

She also summarizes history and sometimes science, and does some longer term reports/assignments. I use aspects of Writer's Jungle as well.

DD is a creative writer, and Writing Strands lets her be creative within specific limits. I feel that it is giving her tools for her tool belt, but not supplying the whole tool chest.

We will probably use IEW at some point. I have been waiting to feel that DD will not lose her writing 'voice' by using it. She's there now, but I'm in no hurry. Frankly, I can't stand the idea of watching all those DVD's. Just. Can't. Stand. It. So I'm hoping for a nice little coop to pop up that we can join, that will avoid the need for that. I would much rather teach literature, history, poetry, chemistry, or creative writing. Even grammar. I just really, really don't want to watch those DVD's, LOL!

Well...I think so many of us forget to look at the big picture when it come to WS.

After going back to WTM and reading what SWB had to say about WS and going over all of the WS levels, I decided it was a good program for dd and that it would prepare her for hs if we just stick with it. So half way through the year, I switched back to WS. After I looked at all the levels again, I kept thinking, "This is great, why did we stop using it?"

I think this is the conclusion I'm coming around to. After I went back and re-read the WTM recs for writing, went and looked at samples of the various programs...again...and stepped back to look at the big picture, I began questioning whether or not we really needed an online writing program.

It's just so true; sometimes you can't see the fruit of the your labor if you don't stick with it. I really like the options SWB has given for using Writing Strands alone, with the Wordsmith series and/or IEW.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I found them quite insightful.