Menu

Gulf Shores in October

I want to take my kids to Gulf Shores this fall. I'm looking at October, we will probably need a break by then LOL I'm thinking the two best weeks for us would either be the first week of October or the week of the 22-26. When would you go? We always went in late June and it was soooo crowded. We went a couple of years ago in late march and it was so much less crowded and more pleasant BUT the water was icy. I'm wondering if the later date is pushing it too far far comfortable water. I want to experience the beach in the fall, but I'm wondering if that's too far into the fall. Should I pick the first week of October or will it be crowded with PS students in fall break?

Edited by Gingerbread Mama

I personally prefer spring and fall over summer. I think you will enjoy it in Oct. we were there the week of Thankgiving last year, and there were kids swimming in the pool. The Gulf was too rough, although we aren't much for swimming with the fishes. :tongue_smilie: You never know what the weather is going to be like, but you have a good chance of pleasant weather in Oct.

Hmmm. So the weather wasn't ton cold for swimming even in late November? Wow. Even the pool was a bit too chilly in late March. Of course, I like my pool and ocean water to be like bath water lol We love to swim in the ocean, and hardly use the pool if we are at the beach, so I guess I should be asking if the water is super rough then. I didn't even think of that.

Go the first week, if you can. The water will be great for swimming. Fall is better than spring - the gulf takes a while to warm up BUT holds on to the summer heat. October is my favorite month to be there.

I would recommend, though, that you look into getting a small traveler's insurance policy to cover the cost of your accommodations due to the (slight but possible) chance that a hurricane or tropical storm would cause you to change your plans.

we are going the first week of October. We aren't huge water fans but lounging on the beach, enjoying the atmosphere, building sand castles, chasing crabs, etc.. we always try to get a rental house with a heated private pool. (we always share the expense with family)

October is perfect in Gulf Shores! :iagree: We own a beach condo there and it is my favorite time to go. Also, rent is less expensive after the summer rush. Our 3 bedroom is only $900.00 per week during October. Let me know if you have any questions about the area and I'll be glad to help. :auto: