Menu

I've been reading Inkheart...

and I have to say that it is taking everything within me to finish it. Ugh.

I know that many of you really like it, which is why I snapped it up at a used book store when I was in California a couple of weeks ago, but I gotta tell you, I don't see the appeal. It's dreary, one bad thing after another, an eternity to build up to what I think is going to be the climax...but no, there's still more. There are a couple more chapters; with any luck, I can read them tonight, and then THAT WILL BE ALL!!!

Whew.

I gave up on it. It wasn't the "dreariness" that got to me. It was the constant simile. I really don't know if it was the fault of the author or the translator or both together, but I found it interminable. Dh and I were listening to it on CD on a long drive with the kids, and whenever we stopped, we'd be speaking in Inkheart-ese to each other under our breath and giggling.

Anyway, it may well have redeemed itself if I could have stuck with it. But I'm not one of those people who feels compelled to finish books I'm not crazy about. So I gave up on that one.