Menu

Prima Latina or just wait until 5th grade?

bethben

Little background - Ds#2 started Latin instruction with First Form Latin and it's been going great. He's able to mostly do it on his own. It's worked out nicely in my opinion and we are continuing with Second Form Latin next year.

I am thinking about starting ds#3 with Prima Latina in 2nd grade, but am wondering if I am going to get in over my head with too much. There's only so many hours in a day and I will be adding a 3rd homeschooling child into the mix next year. Is it worth it? Or should I just do the same sequence that I have done with Ds#2? Ds #3 seems to desire to learn a language (even though he doesn't say that outright). He is really impressed that his buddy next door knows some Spanish words.

Thanks!

Beth

I am very impressed that your ds is getting First form on his own. I have done PL and LCI with my dd so far, and can't imagine that, and we haven't even gotten to FF yet.

I just wanted to say that PL is pretty simple and easy. I don't think it takes that much time and it is pretty simple, and it does give them that feeling of 'I know another language.' Mine loved that. It was so exciting to them the first time we did LCI. It will also help you keep those sayings and prayers and basic vocab in your head to be better able to help your older. I would try to fit it in a little.

If your 8YO wants to learn language, go for it.

PL gives a decent vocabulary intro, introduces the idea of the first declension and conjugation and the concept behind a declension and conjugation, and reinforces grammar nicely. It is not secular, but I see you use Apologia, so that is probably not an issue for you ;).

It is an easy program to implement, only requiring a few minutes per day (once he OT started, my 8YO was able to work independently about 60% of the time... He old have been more independent, but I chose to be involved, reviewing past vocabulary and grammar).

I say that for a child who wishes to learn a language, it is worth it.