Menu

My sons broken arm did not heal properly

Guest amber1

Guest amber1

Hello

My son broke his arm about 5 years ago when he was 13. It healed slightly bent after the cast was removed. He never really noticed it until a few months after the cast was removed but our doctor said it would fix itself over time. Well 5 years later and it's still the same. A few months after the cast was removed he started working out to strengthen up his arm. However he got totally addicted to working out and hes turning 19 now and is a full time body builder. The broken arm has never effected any of his training but you can tell the bone is crooked by looking at it. He also has a bit of mobility issues on his arm. IE he can not turn his arm and make his palms face upward because of the break.

He really wants to get it fixed but he doesn't want to have to get it re broken and then risk it not fixing the problem because he will have to take time off from the gym and then have to re gain his strength. He dosen't have that many friends and working out is the one things that hes really passionate about.

He is getting really depressed these days because he really wants to be a successful bodybuilder but he told me his arm is really starting to bother him these days.

What can we do? I really want my son to have his arm fixed but It's been 5 years since he broke it and I'm scared that getting it re broken won't fix the problem.

Thank you

• 3 months later...

First- consider that the problem may have already been there, just not noticed.

Some members of my family have Radial Ulnar Sysostosis http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/Site1067/mainpageS1067P0.html

Our pediatric Orthopedist mentioned a case (he gave no identifying details- the story was relevant to a particular exam) he was an expert witness in involving a boy who had a broken arm and it didn't seem to heal correctly- but he actually had undiagnosed synostosis, and it just wasn't noticed until they were looking closely at the healing of the broken arm.

Get as many opinions as you can before considering surgery. We were told that there is a 50% success rate in our case- could be perfect as if nothing was ever wrong, could have more scar tissue and less range of motion.

Of my three, one has a moderate case (diagnosed at age 2)- can't go palm up, can't support body weight for long (as in push-ups) and adapts arm positions in ballet. Another (discovered at age 12) has no synostosis, but her arms do not completely straighten- she is at the low end of the normal range of motion. Another has no problems.

I really don't have anything to contribute as to what you should do. My son broke his arm when he was 3 and it didn't set right either. It is really obvious his arm is at an odd angle at the elbow. He's in his teens now and it doesn't bother him, but we have always said that if it was ever an issue for him for any reason, that we would let him get it fixed.

I don't know. If your son is really that bothered about it, I'd let him at least talk to a surgeon to ask about risks, outcome, healing time, etc. and let him make the decision. Maybe he could still bodybuild on the other parts of his body while his arm healed?