Menu

Studying ahead for SOTW 1

TriciaS

Okay, I've been reading Singapore HIG's in my free time, checked out "Deconstructing Penguins" from the library, getting my lesson plans started.....

Is there anything I should be reading to prepare me for SOTW 1? It's been awhile since I took a history class! Are there any good ancient history books that anyone here read to refresh your memory of all the juicy background info (not that it all would be appropriate for a 7 year old! ;) )? I love history, anyway, so it would probably be fun for me to find a good book to read!

Since you love history, consider Will Durant's The Story of Civilization. It is an 11-volume (mostly big volumes) set and I spent 2 years reading it (with other books scattered in between). It starts with pre-Greece, then a Greece volume, Christ and Caesar. Now that my oldest is going through SOTW for the first time I've been thinking about re-reading the first SOTW1 related volumes. I'm planning to wait until the next cycle though, when all my kids do SOTW at the same time. SoC ends with Napoleon. Years ago I read all of Gibbons' Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire which is also packed with juicy background info.

I recommend SWB's The History of the Ancient World. I've learned so much from it.

:iagree: I liked the idea of having the same author.:001_smile:

This book was easier for me to pick up when able with my busy schedule - not so thick that I had to do a lot of backtracking. For someone like me who hadn't had a lot of ancient history, it was just right - deeper than SOTW but not difficult to get through.