Menu

medieval art for 2nd grade?

For a project idea -- We have been studying illuminated manuscripts. I found several wonderful books at our library on the topic, plus a simple (think it was?) Dover coloring book. I photocopy the pages onto thick card stock, then we paint. I bought some metallic paints in the scrapbooking section of a craft store, so we can add that for accents.

DS is normally not into crafts/projects, but he has had so much fun with this.

Books:

Illuminations by Hunt

Bestiary by Hunt

The Ink Garden of Brother Theophane by Millen

The Duke and the Peasant by Beckett

I am also planning on doing a simple "faux" stained glass project. I just bought inexpensive picture frames so we can use the glass out of that. Hobby Lobby had the few supplies I needed for this project.

I would offer this:

*Do an architecture study of the time period...

*Re-create "halo art"- they are very 2-D and look like cartoons- easy for kids to re-create...

*Study costuming as art

*Illuminated paintings (as earlier mentioned)

*Prayer Books

*Calligraphy

*Act out famous paintings from the time period- or pretend to be statues of the art

(Keep in mind that European art from this period is often rampent with "death" and scenes of death- Of course!- Depends on age of child)

*Do cross- cultural studies of art from same general time period, but different cultures-

Just a few ideas

• 3 weeks later...

Dick Blick have some fabulous stand alone lesson plans, some with video. This is one that's on my list as we are also planning SOTW 2 this year,

It's for Byzantine Medallions and it has a demonstration video with it. At the very least you would need the air dry clay, you may find it cheaper elsewhere of course, I got some jewel type things at Walmart in the craft section rather than buying their bulk bags.

I went ahead and ordered the clay and the stamps from Dick Blick.