Menu

We May Be Moving To Memphis, TN. Questions...

Hello!

We're so excited that we may possibly (very likely, God willing) be moving to the Memphis area. I've already checked out the homeschool laws but I would like information on the surrounding areas. We would definitely prefer living out and away from the city but close enough to shopping and work. My dh would be working at the airport. We would like to have a few acres of land but probably somewhere around 10 acres or less would be fine. Do you have any advice and which areas would you target in your search if you were me? Also, are there any areas that you would stay away from?

I appreciate any input that would help us out. :) Thanks!

Well I"m glad to hear you are looking forward to your move. Our personal experience was we hated Memphis and couldn't wait to get away from there.........but that was our experience and it was about 14 years ago. My twins were born there so we will always have a tie to the city however. Now that is not to say you will have our experience, and I certianly hope you don't.....

Some nice areas to consider are Germantown and especially Collierville. Collierville is a cute little town that is close to Hickory Hill shopping area but far enough away to feel small. Those would be my only suggestions (oh maybe Cordova) and the only places I would even consider living.

I don't know what race you are, but in Memphis that makes a big difference in where you might want to live. Race is very significant in this city.

Oh, you don't want to live in Memphis. There is nothing good about Memphis.

Get on I40 and travel west for a bit. If you get to Nashville you have gone too far. You want to stop almost halfway between Memphis and Nashville.

That is where the cool people live.:cool:

Okay, if not, then what Rachel said.

Memphis is a good city. It's not Chicago, but it is not bad. The zoo is okay, the museums are pretty nice, I understand the library system is good. The homeschool community is supposed to be pretty good. Rachel is right, race is pretty important in Memphis.

Oh, and you might want to check Homelife Academy for your umbrella. I think they are the absolute best.

Hello!

We're so excited that we may possibly (very likely, God willing) be moving to the Memphis area. I've already checked out the homeschool laws but I would like information on the surrounding areas. We would definitely prefer living out and away from the city but close enough to shopping and work. My dh would be working at the airport. We would like to have a few acres of land but probably somewhere around 10 acres or less would be fine. Do you have any advice and which areas would you target in your search if you were me? Also, are there any areas that you would stay away from?

I appreciate any input that would help us out. :) Thanks!

I was born in Memphis and lived in the area (we moved to Collierville when I was 9) until I was 20. My parents and brother & his family still live in Collierville. Collierville is a great town, although it has grown a lot they have managed it well. The interstate now goes all the way through to Collierville (maybe past by now), and it takes about 30-45 minutes for me to get from my parent's house to the airport (depends on traffic). Out past Collierville, you start getting into the country.

Sounds like Germantown or Collierville would be a good fit for you, and those areas are also *teeming* with all of the great homeschool activities/classes/etc. We live in Memphis, but we have to go out there to be involved in homeschool things. And there is shopping galore out there.

Germantown and Collierville are on the private library system, though. And I'd be picky about Cordova - it's gone downhill.

Areas to avoid are too numerous to list! The areas near the airport are horrible, of course, but so are a lot of areas that used to not be as bad. Don't even consider the Hickory Hill area. But since you're not looking into living *in* the city, your areas are a little narrower, and for the most part, nice places to live. There are plenty of other places nearby that you might be able to buy land a bit cheaper, such as Lakeland or Olive Branch, MS, but those would also be further out from your dh's job.

Midtown's where the cool people live, though. :cool:

Hope you come, to Memphis or nearby!