Menu

American Girl Doll Hospital

I used it for an Addy doll with silver eye I got off Craigslist. The turn-around time was good -- about 2 weeks, I believe. I didn't have to pay for the service because silver eye is a manufacturing defect, but I do feel their services are somewhat on the expensive side. If it's only something minor wrong with the doll, you might be able to fix it yourself. There are many good YouTube tutorials out there.

I bought a used Samantha doll from another board member back around Christmas time and I did a lot of work to it then to make it look new and spiffy (although it was still in pretty good shape), but the hair had been cut and I had to trim it slightly more to even it up. It also frizzes SUPER easy (I'm guessing because it isn't the newest doll) even after I've given it two Downy dunks. I'm thinking of sending it off to have a new head put on and the limbs tightened up a tad.

The dog chewed off Josefina's hand. I looked into having it replaced and after snipping, it was almost as expensive as a new doll. So, she's still missing a hand.

I have let the girls take their dolls to the store to get their hair redone. That makes a huge difference and I think it only cost $10.

So, I guess it just depends.

:bigear:

We're contemplating doing the used doll route - dd wants Molly and has for over a year. She'd like Kit too, but Molly first.

I do know that if you have an older pleasant company doll and send it in for head / limb replacement, they replace with the newer mattel ones. Just an FYI.

We sent the Bitty Twins off last month and we were very happy. DD had given herself and both of them a bad haircut last year. My in-laws took DD and the dolls in person to an AG store and they said it was really cute how the employees prepared the dolls and interacted with DD. They both got new heads and we had them back in less than 2 weeks. If you live close enough that you can take them to a store, you don't have to pay shipping 1 way. I thought the new heads weren't very expensive. I think the larger dolls may be more expensive, however. They came back with cute little hospital gowns, new hair bows, tiny Get Well cards, and a Dr's note for each girl.

:bigear:

We're contemplating doing the used doll route - dd wants Molly and has for over a year. She'd like Kit too, but Molly first.

I do know that if you have an older pleasant company doll and send it in for head / limb replacement, they replace with the newer mattel ones. Just an FYI.

I had read this somewhere. What is the difference?

I had read this somewhere. What is the difference?

The older heads are made with a softer vinyl, the eyelashes are lighter, longer, and made with a softer material, and the wigs are different (sometimes better, sometimes worse depending on exactly when the doll was made). Some of the older faces are also a little wider and chubbier.