Menu

Photo scanner. Camera buffs help!

I am looking for a high grade scanner to digitize old family photographs; boxes of them. This is something I have been meaning to do for years and really must start on.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.

I need:

1. high resolution, not wanting to loose any of the image

2. ease of use, and speed

3. ability to scan larger photos (probably up to 8x10

As an aside is there way to electronically save old negatives?

Thanks pqr

Someone the other day in a thread suggested this service https://www.scancafe.com/valuekit_nl_site/

I have newer Brother all in one ink jet, it is an MFC-J825DW. I am planning to start scanning the photos that I really want scanned, so I don't know how good it is yet as far as easy.

I will probably send the negatives that I want electronically to Scancafe. They are a good deal cheaper than other online services that I have come across.

One of my uncles serves as the historian for our tribe (and therefore, family). He has found that the best way to save them is to take photos of the old photos with a really good digital camera. He takes a photo of the front and back (it often has identifying information and the information of who printed the photo originally, that is important info to a historian). He saves them electronically, backs them up online and backs them up on DVDs. He makes new prints to pass out to the family and he stores a copy. He stores the originals in mylar archival sleeves in a binder in a dark place. The ink in inkjet printers is not stable enough to rely upon to save old photos; that is why it's better to take a new photo and get a new print. ETA: Taking photos of them also means that you don't have to remove them from albums or scrapbooks when applicible, because those are historical documents too. He only removes them from albums when the album is one that is dangerous to photos.

eta also: There are services that will scan your old photos for you. For example: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/technology/personaltech/14pogue.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=scan%20photos%20to%20digital%20%20David%20Pogue&st=cse&oref=slogin

Brookstone has a negative/slide converter that converts slides and negatives into digital files.

Edited by Mrs Mungo