Menu

Binding math mammoth?

We tend to bind them in their entirety or Part A, Part B, if they're really too big for the combs we have or can get. I'm not the biggest fan of 3-ring binders for things like that; the earlier pages always seem to get pulled out as they flip through for weeks/months.

TBH, as much as I love my Arc notebook, I don't think that would work as well as proper binding in this case, either.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I've put it in a three hole punch reusable folder (the kind with the little metal tabs), bound it with a coil binding at Staples, bound it with a flat tape binding at Staples, done it on the iPad, and done it stapled in a weekly packet unbound.

Honestly, no one method was especially superior to the others. :D

I've put it in a three hole punch reusable folder (the kind with the little metal tabs), bound it with a coil binding at Staples, bound it with a flat tape binding at Staples, done it on the iPad, and done it stapled in a weekly packet unbound.

Honestly, no one method was especially superior to the others. :D

:glare: :toetap05:

I really thought you guys would have solved the binding problem by now.

:tongue_smilie:

If you're adding pages (and we like to do that with MEP, when they need a little more practice in one area), the Arc may be an asset. It will definitely split the difference between 3-ring and binding. It's basically the same as the Circa system people love here, but cheaper. My punch was $39, full price. The discs (1.5" holds 200 pages) are much less, too.

For my personal notebook, where I keep class routines for work, I got some unpunched cd sleeves, punched them, and added them, so my class music is right there, too. Not that that helps you with math, but if you have anything you need a notebook and cd for... ;)

:glare: :toetap05:

I really thought you guys would have solved the binding problem by now.

:tongue_smilie:

Hehe. I know my kids don't seem to mind not having their books lay flat, for example and it doesn't hurt their writing terribly (and it's just math). But for some people that's apparently a big issue. So, I guess it's individual what works. You wouldn't expect a different answer in homeschooling, would you? :tongue_smilie:

That helps! (for real, lol). No, I would not expect homeschoolers to give a one size futs all answer!

Ds's book will need to lay flat. Actually, both will, or dd will spend all of her time trying to get it flat. They hate working in workbooks.

I could print dd's double sided, but not ds's, if it's bound.

Now to add the duh question of the day; how do i print double sided without having to do one page at a time?

That helps! (for real, lol). No, I would not expect homeschoolers to give a one size futs all answer!

Ds's book will need to lay flat. Actually, both will, or dd will spend all of her time trying to get it flat. They hate working in workbooks.

Now to add the duh question of the day; how do i print double sided without having to do one page at a time?

If your printer has this feature it's in the printer setup page. When I go to print on my printer when the window pops up asking which pages and how many copies there is the option to print on both sides that can be selected. That's how I do this everytime.

As for the OP question. Sadly I wish there was a for sure run to answer on this. I've printed MM for 2 years and still use the binder method. I have to write off the first several pages as a pp'er mentioned those pages get tugged on so much they rip out. I've even done the 3 prong folders for several chapters and that poses to be alot more work than I like. I've thought about getting it bound, but I'd have to split it up costing me even more money. So for now I still use a 3 ring binder

I get plastic folders with the 3-ring tabs in them. Staples has some that are see-through, which the kids like 'cause they can see the Mammoth cover. (who is usually pooping) You can print them front and back to take up half the paper and they fit just fine.

If that's the case, I would coil bind it at Staples. Not terribly expensive, can hold a huge number of pages and doesn't come loose as easily as comb binding.

As for printing double sided, it's a pita if your printer doesn't have a setting for it. I wouldn't bother if it's not easy. Just swallow your environmental guilt and let the reverse sides be for distracting doodling.

What kind of printer do you have? The process depends on that. On my laser, it's a one-click option, on my inkjet, you have to set even pages, reverse printing, etc.

Our printer is old. (6 yrs?) When selecting which pages to print, I can set i to print only odds or only evens. You have to make sure you load them correctly the next time, and just do the opposite pages. I usually print a chapter at a time in case it messes up. (my printer likes to misfeed paper every once in awhile.