Menu

math for dd10 - get the CLE TM or consider switching?

DD10 has used CLE math from 104 - 502. It has been a good fit for her since it introduces new concepts gently and has constant review. We have supplemented CLE with math mammoth in the past and now supplement with singapore CWP.

However, since we began with BJU English 5 (a week ago LOL) I realised that dd benefits from having a teaching session before she goes off and does her independent work. Now I want to do that with her math too.

I don't have the CLE math TM. Just the answer key. I didn't find the TMs useful in the earlier years but maybe they are better in the higher grades?

I would want a scripted math lesson, hopefully something that is laid out well and easy to use.

And....... a little while ago someone here linked http://www.doe.mass.edu/mcas/student/2010

When dd and I went through the grade 4 test I felt that CLE hadn't really prepared her for this kind of testing (we don't have to test or report here. I was curious)

So, should I try and rework the way we using CLE or switch curriculum?

I don't know what the CLE lessons look like, but since you've used MM in the past and might happen to have the whole set, you could look at how MM presents the particular topic and then teach that on the white board before she begins the CLE lesson.

I don't know what the CLE lessons look like, but since you've used MM in the past and might happen to have the whole set, you could look at how MM presents the particular topic and then teach that on the white board before she begins the CLE lesson.

I don't have the whole set but thankfully they are cheap enough to buy for that purpose and I know that the topics are well organized.

I guess I am a little reluctant to try that as neither dd and I actually "got" the way math mammoth taught. I think I need something more to hold my hand through the teaching. Thanks for the suggestion though

The CLE TM will not offer anything to help you teach the lessons. It is meant to be "self teaching". Really all students need is to read what is written in the light unit. I read it with my children and watch them do the practice for the new concepts.

The CLE TM will not offer anything to help you teach the lessons. It is meant to be "self teaching". Really all students need is to read what is written in the light unit. I read it with my children and watch them do the practice for the new concepts.

Thanks! That is what I remember of the CLE TMs too.

My daughter has had CLE math through grade 7. What kind of questions is your child unprepared for? I looked at the test samples and they were all covered in CLE. I think end of year public school testing emphasized statistics and probablility in an overkill way. Is that what you are referring to? But it is taught in CLE, maybe not drilled daily. :)

My daughter has had CLE math through grade 7. What kind of questions is your child unprepared for? I looked at the test samples and they were all covered in CLE. I think end of year public school testing emphasized statistics and probablility in an overkill way. Is that what you are referring to? But it is taught in CLE, maybe not drilled daily. :)

I went back and had a look at my dd's MCAS completed test. She had finished CLE math 501 when she did the MCAS grade 4 test.

What she really struggled with was knowing how to tackle the word problems. Sometimes she used the wrong operation; sometimes she just didn't know where to begin and guessed an answer from the multiple choice.

There were a lot of word problems in the test.

Now it could be just a difference in the scope and sequence. For example, I noticed in CLE 502 (just finished) that they introduce "hidden questions in story problems" and now they are stepping up the complexity in word problems. So she may have done better if she done CLE 502 first. Which is fine.

I don't want to blame CLE for dd having trouble with the MCAS test because I just assigned it so I could see how she would do and what areas we needed to work on.

We will also keep going through Singpore's CWP and obviously that should be helpful in working through word problems :001_smile:. We are still doing CWP grade/level three.

Anyway..... the best thing about doing the MCAS test was that we went through it together and reworked the problems. I was able to model how to work through the word problems.

Which is one of the reasons I was asking about either building a teaching session into CLE or switching to another curriculum which has a built in teaching session, like BJU.

I think adding a word problem books would be most helpful. Singapore would be perfect IMO. CLE nails everything down needed for Algebra so well. Decimals, percents, fractions, ratios and probability and uses word problems extensively in 6th and 7th (what I used last year with my two).

I understand your concerns though. Some on the boards criticize CLE very vocally for being plug in math or something like that. I have a special ed son in the public school. They try to teach 100% concepts in regular ed and special ed and it is an utter disaster. So, I want my kids to plug in until it is rote and learn the concepts too. :)

My daughter did very well in Duke Tip Sat testing for 7th grade in everything but math - qualified for honors, programs etc. However, I think it was bc she hasn't had algebra or geometry yet. She was a little worried about math though, and is going through Life of Fred and Khan Academy this summer on her own- just to think about math differently. Starting with Algebra in 8th, we are using Chalkdust. I love CLE for elementary - but I don't think adding Singapore to it would add to much time. Math is soooo important to get right. HTH!.

Edited by LNC

I think adding a word problem books would be most helpful. Singapore would be perfect IMO. CLE nails everything down needed for Algebra so well. Decimals, percents, fractions, ratios and probability and uses word problems extensively in 6th and 7th (what I used last year with my two).

I understand your concerns though. Some on the boards criticize CLE very vocally for being plug in math or something like that. I have a special ed son in the public school. They try to teach 100% concepts in regular ed and special ed and it is an utter disaster. So, I want my kids to plug in until it is rote and learn the concepts too. :)

My daughter did very well in Duke Tip Sat testing for 7th grade in everything but math - qualified for honors, programs etc. However, I think it was bc she hasn't had algebra or geometry yet. She was a little worried about math though, and is going through Life of Fred and Khan Academy this summer on her own- just to think about math differently. Starting with Algebra in 8th, we are using Chalkdust. I love CLE for elementary - but I don't think adding Singapore to it would add to much time. Math is soooo important to get right. HTH!.

Thanks for sharing your experience. :) Good to hear that CLE has more word problems later on.