Menu

Math for the accelerated but not gifted

Here's my math plan for summer, how does this look? I am not in a rush and really want her math abilities to be strong.

My dd9 (upcoming 4th grader) will be finishing up the second half of Singapore 5A to complete 5B, completing last 1/2 of LOF Fractions to complete LOF Percents/Decimals and finishing up verbal portions of HOE.

I would like her to complete Singapore 6A/6B (I haven't look at these yet) for fourth grade, should we also continue with the LOF series or try something else? I am also wanting to add in some of the Calculus for Young People lessons more next year (awesome program BTW). Thanks!

Are you using CWP and/or IP as well?

FWIW, for a student advanced two grade levels in a relatively rigorous math program, I would not assume that student wasn't gifted. (In fact, I'd go so far as to assume they were, and that any IQ measurements to the contrary might be an underestimate for a variety of reasons, such as 2e, etc.)

Another possibility for the future would be AoPS Prealgebra, with a bigger question being when - after 5B or after 6B?

Serendipitous Journey, with regards to dd's interest in math, she is warmish. She works at math, she is not gifted in math. I have used Singapore and feel comfortable with its approach however I have introduced HOE for the hands on approach to algebra equations (especially the verbal problems). I am using LOF Fractions as more of visual/word approach to fraction understanding. I look for the breakdowns (not understanding) in math concepts then fill those with supplemental programs that are either hands on or visual. I also want to dive deeper, so I am not in a hurry. The problem is I am not sure how to dive deeper. I can dive deeper in history, science and language arts but math has me a little stumped. I have been looking into Zome geometry, code cracker type books, and Calculus for Young People (beginning lessons). She has been doing three math programs, I am fine with taking a break from a concept and moving around to another one so long as skills continue to grow. I probably should read more about VSL-she leans more that way. Any advice? Is this an advisable route I am taking?

I'm thinking about this (in my distracted way!) ... two things come to mind. First, given the things I see in your siggie you might like the livingmath.net booklists/program? Not esp. VSL, though. Also TOPS has some math units, I don't know if any catch her interests but folks like them generally and I hope to try one this summer.

... still thinking ... :)

It sounds as thought you are doing a marvelous job with her education.

ETA: here's the TOPS link. The math units seem to be designed to be as hands-on and visual as possible, which is why I thought you might want to check them out for your dd.

Here's the link to livingmath.net. You've prob. heard of it/looked at it; it esp. came to mind b/c it has such a variety of resources suggested, and many different types of books & games too, and the author really really likes HOE. It also maps nicely onto time periods as chunked by SOTW so that could be a graceful & topical way of going deeper.

Edited by serendipitous journey
adding links

Serendipitous Journey-thank you! I plan to look some more into TOPS and living math! I like the more in-depth view via projects in order to get to concepts. DD9 has been interested in the probability of coin tosses (heads vs tails) and has assured me that one's chance of getting heads is more. I saw on the probability section an exercise in tack landings, graphing results, etc. I just need some practical ideas & tried/true methods, some confidence, in just doing those type of math problems in order for her to test out her ideas. Thank you!

:) And so, so glad she likes probability. I think statistics is one of the more female-friendly fields of math, esp. because so many real-world and human concerns/problems require statistical thinking & tools (not to generalize about gender too much).

:):) so happy if something I suggested will suit.

Serendipitous Journey, yes I agree probability/statistics interest is valuable for the social sciences. Dd's is interested in becoming a vet. She has already shown a liking to chemistry/biology/animals in general (lately, details of ears)... focus on math specifically or generally? Ideas? Thanks!